This Paleo Chai Spiced Apple Skillet Cookie is the perfect dessert for two. Loaded with soft apples, seasoned with cinnamon and chai spices, baked in a mini cast iron skillet and topped with your choice of ice cream. It is the perfect fall dessert!
Okay, it is time to give apples some glory this season, yes? Sorry, it took me so long. Pumpkin took over so I got side tracked, and then I almost forgot about all of the apple recipes I had planned for you!
First things first: APPLE PIE SKILLET COOKIE.
I realized it had been MONTHS since I brought you a skillet cookie dessert. Like, since last February when I shared a brownie. Man oh man that is way too long. I feel like I should share a new skillet cookie recipe each month. Because once you buy a mini skillet, all you ever want to do is make desserts in it. I mean sure, you can fry your eggs in there… I guess. But I am pretty sure we can all agree that personalized skillet desserts > eggs.
But does anyone else kind of forget about apple desserts? There is apple pie and apple crisp… apple galettes… What am I missing? I just feel like I sometimes forget about how great apples are when baking. I am always so caught up in chocolate (and pumpkin this time of year) that I forget about the lovely the combination of apples and cinnamon.
But when I took my first bite of this apple pie skillet cookie…
I happened to make this recipe on a Sunday and Drew was not home… which meant I had to use a LOT of self control to not eat this whole thing. So I put the pan in the fridge thinking Drew would have it after dinner. But he got in pretty late that night so I didn’t really see him or talk to him about my new skillet dessert until the morning. When I opened the fridge the next morning, I figured I would still be seeing a half full dessert pan… Until I took a closer look and noticed there were only a couple of bites left in the skillet.
I swear we usually have so many leftovers and they often go unnoticed in the fridge. But leave half-eaten skillet cookie in the fridge and it’s the first thing that is noticed. I shouldn’t be surprised.
Paleo Chai Spiced Apple Pie Skillet Cookie
What you need
- almond flour
- nut/seed butter
- coconut sugar
- non-dairy milk or creamer
- chai spices – made up of cinnamon, cardamom (that’s the key one), nutmeg, ginger, cloves and all-spice.
I mixed everything together in one bowl, using my hands to really combine everything at the end. The cookie dough is going to be thick, so you’ll have to push the dough into the skillet evenly, pushing the apples into the dough too.
Bake the skillet cookie for about 15-18 minutes, until edges are just slightly golden. It’s okay to be a little under-baked here.
While the cookie is baking in the oven, you can make the apple topping. It is simply a mix of chai spices, apples, a little bit of coconut sugar and oil, heated up on the stovetop for about 10 minutes until the apples have softened.
Once the skillet cookie has finished baking, top off your dessert with the warm apples and your favorite ice cream.
I used a caramel ice cream and man oh man was it DELICIOUS.
You guys will have to try this…
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx, Ashley
- 3 TBS nut or seed butter (I used cashew butter)
- 2 TBS oil (ex: avocado, or melted & cooled coconut)
- 3 TBS coconut sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBS non-dairy milk (I used coffee creamer)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped, divided
for the topping:
- 1/2 TBS oil
- 1/2 TBS coconut sugar
- ice cream of choice
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a mini 6″ cast iron skillet with butter or oil, set aside.
- In a medium bowl using fork or whisk, combine almond butter, oil and sugar. Add in egg yolk and vanilla extract stirring until evenly combined.
- Toss in almond flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir together until almost combined, then add 1 TBS milk for dough to fully come together. Fold in 1/2 of the diced apples.
- Transfer cookie dough into grease skillet. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until edges are slightly browned and have risen.
- While the cookie skillet is baking, make the apple topping: transfer the remaining apples to small skillet with oil, sugar, and dashes of chai spices. Cook over low-medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat once apples are soft.
- Allow skillet cookie to cool for 5-10 minutes, before topping with warmed apples and favorite ice cream or coconut cream. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/6th
- Calories: 204
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.