A delicious easy recipe for creamy carrot soup, made in the Instant Pot. With creamy coconut milk and warming spices like cumin, coriander and ginger. A dairy free and paleo recipe.
Never in a million years did I think I’d get so excited about a soup recipe… and especially a carrot one.
Why am I so excited? Because this soup recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s made with just nine ingredients and it’s healthy, comforting and everything you want and need on a cold day.
Just trust me, you need a good carrot soup recipe in your life.
And if you’re not there yet, it’s okay. I get it.
Easy Instant Pot Carrot Soup Recipe
I’m not even sure I had ever thought about carrot soup until Drew and I were in Galway, sitting in a traditional Irish pub and carrot soup was the soup of the day.
Surprisingly enough Drew was the one that ordered it… And if you know my husband this was a little out of character.
Anyways, the waiter comes back with the carrot soup and I was so pleasantly surprised with the flavors that I instantly knew I had to make my own at home.
Ingredients Needed for Carrot Soup
- carrots – the star of the show, obviously. I used about 2 pounds of carrots.
- ginger – use fresh ginger for the most flavor. It really does make all the difference.
- coconut milk – use canned coconut milk for creaminess and a rich flavor. You can use lite or full-fat. If subbing with another milk, your soup won’t be as thick.
- veggie broth – you can also use water if you’re in a pinch but veggie broth (stock works too) will give the soup a better flavor.
- onion & garlic – always need onion and garlic in soup! Well, maybe not always but in this carrot soup you do.
- ground coriander & cumin – just a little hint of these spices add additional flavor to the soup
- salt – start with a little salt and adjust to your liking. I used a traditional veggie broth (not reduced sodium) and liked 1/2 tsp.
How to Make Carrot Soup in the Instant Pot
This carrot soup recipe could not be easier! Once all of your veggies are prepped, everything gets added into the pressure cooker until tender, then transferred to a blend.er
Here’s a quick overview for how to prepare the recipe, with the full ingredient amounts and directions in the recipe card below.
Step 1 – Prepare the veggies
You’ll either want to scrub the carrots really well, or peel the first layer off. Then roughly chop them up, all the same size to ensure even cooking.
TIP: if your coconut milk is solid, empy into microwave safe bowl and microwave on half power for 30 seconds, or until it’s reached it’s liquid state again.
Step 2 – Add Ingredients to Pressure Cooker
Add the coconut milk, broth, garlic, fresh ginger, salt, ground coriander and cumin to Instant Pot. Stir then add in carrots and onions, stirring until combined.
Step 3 – Cook on Manual Mode
Set your pressure cooker to manual mode and cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure and cool 10 minutes
Step 4 – Blend Soup
Use an immersion blender or transfer cooked ingredients to blender using soup/puree function. Blend until smooth, adding more broth for desired consistency.
More Ways to Flavor
- Ginger Carrot Soup – Use about about 2 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger for more zing.
- Red Thai Carrot Soup – Add 2-3 teaspoons Thai red curry paste.
- Curried Carrot Soup – Add about 1 tablespoon curry powder and a pinch of cayenne.
- Can I make this on the stovetop? – Yes. Start by adding oil, garlic and onion to large bottom, stirring until fragrant. Then add the rest of the ingredients; bring to simmer and cook until carrots are soft – about 25 minutes. Then blend as normal.
- Is there a sub for coconut milk? – You can use all vegetable broth if you’d like, but know the carrot soup will change flavor a bit. If you want to sub another milk like cashew, it will be a less creamy.
- Does this soup freeze well? – Yes. Store in a freezer-safe container, covered well for about 3-4 months.
- How long will leftovers keep? – This soup is best enjoyed in 4-5 days.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx AshleyPrint
Instant Pot Carrot Soup
A delicious easy recipe for carrot soup! Made in the Instant Pot, this delicious cozy soup could not be easier. With warming spices like cumin, coriander and ginger, plus it’s made with creamy coconut milk for a vegan, paleo and Whole30® compliant recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: About 6-8 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (full-fat or lite)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- Add milk, broth, garlic, fresh ginger, salt, ground coriander and cumin to Instant Pot. Stir then add in carrots and onions, stirring until combined.
- Cook on manual mode for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure and cool 10 minutes.
- Blend using immersion blender or transfer to blender using soup/puree function. Blend until smooth, adding more broth for desired consistency.
- Serve and garnish with red pepper flakes, serve with your favorite french bread for dipping if you’d like!
This recipe is a great base to add in some extra flavor variations too. Try adding 1 tablespoon of red curry paste. Or even 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter. 1 teaspoon of curry powder or turmeric would be delicious too.
Prep time includes the time it will take the pressure cooker to build pressure before cooking.
See FAQ’s in post for how to make this recipe on the stovetop.
Nutrition information approximate, based on 6 servings.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 569mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: Instant Pot Soup, Ginger Carrot Soup, Creamy Carrot Soup