Making the perfect iced matcha latte at home couldn’t be easier! It’s simple to make a healthy refreshing drink that tastes even better than Starbucks. You can use your favorite dairy-free milk for a delicious vegan option.
Once summer hits, iced matcha lattes are my go to drink. There’s just something refreshing about drinking an iced latte on the front porch that coffee doesn’t do for me.
A few years ago I got sick of buying lattes at Starbucks or a local coffee shop, so I set out on a quest to make the best lattes I could at home. I read every post I could find, watched endless videos on YouTube, and asked my barista friends how they make lattes at work. So I’m here to share what I’ve learned with you.
Tips for the Perfect Matcha Latte
Pick a High Quality Matcha Powder
When you’re making a matcha green tea latte, the hardest part is starting because you have to pick your matcha powder. There are so many options out there! What’s the difference between baking grade, ceremonial, culinary, etc.?
Well, I’ve found my favorite matcha powder is this first harvest latte grade powder.
If the brand you found doesn’t label their matcha green tea powder as “latte” grade, then be sure to select “ceremonial grade” for the best flavor and quality.
Pick Your Tool
The next part that can make or break having the perfect matcha latte is getting it smooth and perfectly blended.
TIP: For an iced latte, the immersion blender is my favorite way to get the powder completely dissolved.
4 Ingredients for an Iced Matcha Latte
- matcha powder – You want to be sure to buy a quality matcha powder so your latte isn’t bitter. This one is my favorite.
- maple syrup – For a lightly sweetened latte, maple syrup works great. You could also substitute agave nectar or honey as well.
- milk – My favorite dairy-free milk option is oat milk, but you could use almond, cashew, or coconut milk too. Hemp and soy also work! Whatever you have on hand is fine.
- water – Using boiling water helps the matcha powder to dissolve easily when being whisked.
Let’s Make It!
Making an iced matcha latte can be done in just a few minutes!
Step 1 – Whisk Matcha + Hot Water
First things first you’ll mix together the hot water and matcha green tea powder. You can do this with a frother, immersion blender, bamboo whisk or mini whisk.
TIP: If you don’t have any of the above, shake it in a mason jar.
Step 2 – Pour Matcha Over Ice
I like to first add ice to a large cup, then pour the matcha over ice.
Step 3 – Add Milk
Then finally add your milk of choice, give it a stir and drink up!
TIP: You could add a splash of vanilla or mint for some extra flavor!
Step 4 – Drink up!
If you want a stronger latte, you can use more matcha powder or you can leave out the water. Just blend the matcha powder with an immersion blender for a few seconds to dissolve into the milk.
Lots of ways to make this and make it your own!
More Matcha Recipes to Love
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too!Print
Iced Matcha Latte
Learn how to make the perfect dairy free iced matcha latte! Making a homemade latte couldn’t be easier and it’s way better than Starbucks! Use your favorite non-dairy milk to make this vegan and paleo friendly.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Iced
- Cuisine: Japenese-inspired
- 1/4 cup boiling hot water
- 2 teaspoon matcha powder (or more to taste)
- 2–3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 cups your favorite non-dairy milk
- Combine hot water with matcha green tea powder; whisk until powder is dissolved. You can also add sweetener here.
- Add ice to 2 large cups; divide matcha mixture between two cups, pouring over ice.
- Add 1 cup of milk to each cup; stir and enjoy!
Try almond milk, cashew, hemp, soy or coconut for other vegan latte options.
You could use agave nectar or honey as well.
Divide recipe in half for 1 serving.
Keywords: matcha latte, iced latte, iced matcha green tea latte