These grilled cabbage steaks are going to be your new favorite side dish! They’re super easy, quick and flavorful. Serve with a cilantro lime avocado sauce if you’d like. Vegan, gluten free, and paleo.
Have you ever tried grilling cabbage?! It’s actually pretty great.
Probably six years ago now, I first discovered grilled cabbage thanks to this easy recipe from The Kitchn. It was summertime while we were living in PA and I was pleasantly surprised with how delicious grilled cabbage actually was.
Truth be told, it’s actually taken me up until this point to make it again. But every summer since then I’d say to myself, “Remember when you made grilled cabbage? You should do that again.”
Well, we’re doing it!
Easy Grilled Cabbage Steaks
Here’s What You Need
- grill (or oven)
- fresh cabbage
- cooking oil (i.e. olive or avocado)
- salt & pepper
How to Cut Cabbage Steaks
Remove the outer layer of the cabbage and then slice in half.
You can trim off a little bit of bottom/core, just don’t cut too far or the cabbage will fall apart when you slice.
Then with the core down, slice the cabbage into about 1″ thickness.
How to Cook Cabbage on the Grill
Heat grill to medium-high heat.
Use a pastry brush to lightly cover both sides of the cabbage with olive oil – sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper (if you’d like).
Cook the cabbages on the grill, about 5 minutes or so each side. Once the cabbage gets some color (char), and the outer leaves start to curl, the cabbage should be done.
If you’re going for a simple grilled side dish, finish off with freshly squeezed lime juice and some garlic salt.
If you’re looking for a little more flavor….
Serve the cabbage steaks with sauce. More specifically…
Cilantro Lime Avocado Sauce
All you need is:
- olive oil
Simply mix everything together in a small food processor or blender and you’re good to go.
What to Eat with Cabbage Steaks
These cabbage steaks are great as a side dish with your favorite grilled protein – maybe some grilled fajita spiced chicken, Sweet & Spicy Salmon, or chop up and throw into a mixed salad.
However you want to enjoy them, grilled cabbage is a great way to add some veggies to your life with lots of flavor.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
How to Make Grilled Cabbage Steaks
These grilled cabbage steaks are going to be your new favorite side dish! They’re super easy, quick and flavorful. Serve with a cilantro lime avocado sauce if you’d like, but a squeeze of fresh lime with some salt and pepper is great too!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 medium head cabbage
- oil for cooking
- salt and pepper
cilantro lime avocado sauce
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 small limes)
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 small ripe avocado, pitted and fleshed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp honey or agave syrup (optional)
- 3–4 TBSP water (to thin as desired)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Remove the outer layer of the cabbage slice in half, with core down on mat. You can trim off a little bit of bottom/core, just don’t cut too far or the cabbage will fall apart when you slice.
- Slice the cabbage into about 1″ thickness and use pastry brush to lightly cover with olive oil – sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper (if you’d like).
- Carefully place the cabbage slices on the grill; cook about 5 minutes or so each side. Once the cabbage gets some color (char), and the outer leaves start to curl, the cabbage should be done. Carefully transfer grilled cabbage to dish and serve with sauce, if desired.
- To make sauce: add all ingredients to blender; process until smooth. Add water to thin sauce as desired. Taste test for more salt, spice or sweetness.
Store leftover grilled cabbage in closed container in fridge; best enjoyed within 1 day.
Keywords: cabbage steaks, cabbage wedges, how to grill cabbage
Rate this Recipe