A vegan coleslaw recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser for everyone! This homemade coleslaw is made with a creamy vegan dressing (no mayo needed!) and best enjoyed at all of your summer barbecues.
Everyone needs a good coleslaw recipe in their lives. Whether you’re looking for healthy sides to bring to a cookout, a sandwich topper for pulled pork, vegan burgers or just good old fashioned bbq side dishes, homemade coleslaw is a must.
Why You’ll Love it:
- A healthy side dish, thanks to cruciferous vegetables and a homemade coleslaw dressing.
- Easy to make, just takes a little bit of prep!
- A versatile salad perfect for summer potlucks.
- A vegan and gluten-free recipe so it’s a great dietary friendly side to share with friends and family
How Do You Make Vegan Coleslaw From Scratch?
Making homemade vegan coleslaw is super easy. You just need carrots, purple cabbage and green cabbage to make up the slaw mix and some simple ingredients for the dressing.
How to Shred Cabbage
To make shredded cabbage first cut the cabbage in half (you only need about half a head of a medium green cabbage and half a head of medium red cabbage), then make thin 1/4″ slices diagonally across.
Using julienne cut carrots (thinly sliced cut carrots, i.e. matchstick carrots) will give this coleslaw recipe a more traditional texture. You can use the shredding attachment on the food processor, a peeler, or slice by hand.
TIP: You can’t beat freshly chopped cabbage but if you’re looking to save some time and clean-up, no shame in buying pre-shredded cabbage, or carrots.
No Mayo Coleslaw!
For the dressing, we’re using a cashew based dressing – no mayo needed! This homemade coleslaw dressing is creamy, healthy (thanks, cashews) and so delicious!
Vegan Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- To make the creamy vegan coleslaw dressing you’ll need a high powered blender, something like a NutriBullet or Vitamix to break down the cashews.
- Add soaked raw cashews, water, garlic, lemon juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, mustard and salt to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste test for sweetness, vinegar, etc. before adding to the coleslaw mix.
Make Ahead Recipe
Coleslaw is a great make ahead or meal prep recipe because the flavors soak into the cabbage and carrots for more flavor. In fact, I’d highly recommend making this several hours or a day in advance for the best flavor. Garnish with fresh green onion and some sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for a little crunch before serving.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last?
The creamy dressing coleslaw is best kept covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3-4 days.
This classic vegan coleslaw works with a variety of dishes and is a great addition to many summer meals! Here are a few suggestions:
- Side dish – serve as a side alongside your main dish.
- Salad topper – load this up on top of salad greens and add some roasted veggies like sweet potatoes or beets, maybe even some grilled tofu.
- Burger topper – whether you’re making veggies burgers or pulled pork, coleslaw is a great sandwich topping.
It’s a must with these Pulled Pork Style Jackfruit Sandwiches and a great topping for BBQ Tempeh Bowls. It’s versatile enough for whatever kind of cookout you’re having!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and star rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
A delicious vegan coleslaw recipe made with creamy homemade cashew dressing! A healthy BBQ side great for cookouts and sandwiches. Your friends and family will love this no mayo dressing and crunchy slaw.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups julienne cut carrots
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- pinch of black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Prepare the coleslaw mix: slice all cabbage, carrots and scallions – toss together in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing: Add boiled water to raw cashews and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Drain cashews then add all of the dressing ingredients to a blender cup, plus 1/2 cup fresh water, and process until smooth. Taste test for more salt and pepper, vinegar, etc.
- Combine: Pour dressing over coleslaw mix and toss until evenly combined. Store in fridge until ready to serve. Great with pulled jackfruit sandwiches, or as a healthy summer side.
Store leftovers in a covered container, enjoy within 3-4 days.
Keywords: vegan coleslaw no mayo, vegan bbq sides, vegan coleslaw dressing
Rate this Recipe