These Chipotle Cheddar Turkey Burgers are definitely going on your menu ASAP.
Just because summer is slowly fading away doesn’t mean grilling season has to. Thankfully there is still plenty of warm weather left which gives you the perfect excuse to fire up the grill and make these cheddar turkey burgers.
Side note: I assume people in warm weather climates grill all year long but people in the midwest and on the east side of the country tend to grill mostly just during the spring to early fall months. Though Mr. FMK does in fact grill in the winter… but he’s just crazy.
I confess it’s been quite some time since I’ve enjoyed a turkey burger. I used to buy ground turkey all of the time and for whatever reason I stopped. I forget how versatile it is though – these squash bowls, this meatloaf, and these meatballs.
I originally made these cheddar turkey burgers with Tillamook over on Instagram but seeing how I loved them so much and didn’t want you all missing out, I am sharing them here too. You’re welcome.
Chipotle Cheddar Turkey Burgers
what you need
- lean ground turkey
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- almond meal or panko bread crumbs
- cheddar cheese slices
- favorite hamburger buns
Essentially we’re talking a pretty basic turkey burger recipe but packed with flavor thanks to the chipotle peppers and spices used. Don’t skimp on the spices with burger meat; it can really make a difference. AND using the grill or a well-seasoned cast iron pan can help too. Drew refuses to grill meat in a regular pan and I have to say I don’t blame him –the grill does make it taste better! However if you’re going to cook/grill meat inside, I’d recommend investing in a cast iron pan.
Other additions that help make a burger AH-mazing… TOPPINGS.
We’re loading these guys up with cheddar cheese (obviously) tomato, mashed avocado and grilled corn – YUM. Oh and I always like to serve burgers with dark greens like massaged kale or spinach.
Now this Chipotle Cheddar Turkey Burger is basically the healthiest thing ever.
I kid, I kid.
Now go enjoy this burger! Let me know if you make it by leaving a comment and review on the blog.
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground onion
- ½ tsp ground garlic
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- ⅓ cup almond meal (or ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs)
- 4 slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices
- favorite hamburger buns
- 1 large tomato
- 1 ripe medium avocado, mashed
- 1 ear grilled corn, sliced off cob
- handful spinach
- Preheat grill to medium heat, about 400ºF
- Prepare: In large bowl, combine ground turkey, diced chipotle peppers, spices, and almond meal (or bread crumbs). Divide mixture into 4 equal parts and gently shape into patties.
- Grill: Place burger patties directly on grates of preheated grill; cook on one side about 4 minutes before flipping to other side for another 4-5 minutes. Check middle for doneness, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Transfer burgers to tray and place cheese slices directly on burgers to melt.
- Assemble burgers: Place Chipotle Cheddar Turkey Burger on favorite bun topping with sliced tomato, mashed avocado, corn and spinach. Enjoy!
Nutrition does not include bun.
- Serving Size: 1 burger w/o bun
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 505
- Fat: 30
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 15
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 34
- Cholesterol: 109