Grilled veggies for fajitas couldn’t be easier with this recipe for vegetable kabobs. Summer vegetables on skewers, grilled with a fajita lime seasoning – super flavorful. Plus there are so many ways you can enjoy these!
When warmer weather hits, it’s grilling season!
Actually, in the FMK household we’ll grill pretty much all season long. And by “we” I mean Mr. FMK. Because I’m certainly not going to go out and grill in the winter time.
But I know for most people, especially those who live in four seasons, it’s time to grill when the shorts and tee shirts come out of the closet.
Anyways, I digress.
We’re talking about grilling veggies on a stick!
Fajita Spiced Vegetable Kabobs
A flavorful way to enjoy some fresh summer vegetables.
These kabobs can be used in so many ways too.
Here’s what you need
- mixed vegetables – a mix of colored bell peppers, red onion and zucchini
- wooden skewers – soaked in water prior to using
- olive oil, limes and fajita seasoning – the marinade is just a simple mix of olive oil, fresh lime juice, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic and salt + pepper.
- basting brush – for brushing on fajita seasoning while the kabobs grill
Grilled vegetable kabobs are great for pre-portioned servings, making it easy to serve a crowd.
You can also grill vegetables in foil if you’d like!
How to Prepare the Vegetable Skewers
- Gather all of your vegetables; wash and dry them.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water.
- Make the fajita seasoning marinade.
Chop the Veggies into large chunks
Chop the bell peppers and onions into large chunks, and the zucchini into about 1/4″ thick rounds.
Slide onto pre-soaked skewers, leaving just a small space in between.
Time to Grill
Make sure grill has been heated to medium-high heat.
Then place the vegetable kabobs on the grill in a single layer, brushing with the marinade.
Grill the veggies about 5 minutes, flip, brush with marinade again and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
Let the veggies get a little charred for extra smoky flavor.
How to Use Fajita Vegetable Skewers
These easy grilled vegetables are great for, you guessed it, fajitas!
Of course, they can also be used for a variety of other meals like taco salads, power bowls, or just enjoyed as a vegetable side dish alongside some grilled chicken, maybe some chili spiced sweet potatoes.
How to Prep the Skewers in advance
If you’re looking to get some meal prep out of the way, preparing the vegetable kabobs in advance is a great way to save you some time during dinner.
- Prep the skewers and vegetables
- Place vegetables on skewers
- Prepare the marinade in a small bowl and cover.
- Place all items in fridge until ready to grill.
This can be done 1-2 days in advance!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- wooden skewers
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Soak wooden skewers in water.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the fajita seasoned marinade by combining all ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- Chop bell peppers and red onion into large chunks, and zucchini into about 1/4′ thick rounds
- Place vegetables on soaked skewers, alternating the vegetables as you go, leaving just a little space in between.
Transfer vegetable kabobs to the grill in a single layer, brushing with the marinade. Grill the veggies about 5 minutes, flip, brush with marinade again and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes. Let the veggies get a little charred for extra smoky flavor.
- Remove vegetable kabobs from grill, placing on metal sheet and covering with foil until ready to enjoy.
Store leftovers in covered container in fridge; best enjoyed within 1-2 days.