Grilled veggie kabobs for fajitas couldn’t be easier with this easy recipe! Summer vegetables on skewers, grilled with a fajita lime seasoning – super flavorful. Plus there are so many ways you can enjoy these and great for serving a crowd.
When warmer weather hits, it’s grilling season!
Actually, in the FMK household we grill pretty much all season long, as long as we don’t have a foot of snow outside.
But I know for most people, especially those who live in a place with four seasons, it’s time to grill when the shorts and tee shirts come out of the closet!
So today we’re sharing a super easy way to do grilled veggies using skewers and sliced vegetables.
We’re talking about grilling veggies on a stick!
Why You’ll Love These
- An easy way to add flavorful summer veggies to the grill next to your main entree.
- Grilled vegetable kabobs are great for pre-portioned servings, making it easy to serve a crowd.
- Easily customizable with your favorite vegetables.
- Get the whole family involved with threading the vegetables on the skewers.
- These kabobs can be used in a variety of ways
What You Need for Veggie Kabobs
- mixed vegetables – a mix of colored bell peppers, red onion and zucchini
- wooden skewers – soaked in water prior to using
- olive oil, limes and fajita seasoning – the marinade is just a simple mix of olive oil, fresh lime juice, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic and salt + pepper.
- basting brush – for brushing on fajita seasoning while the kabobs grill
You can also grill vegetables in foil or use a cast iron skillet if you’d like!
How to Prepare the Vegetable Skewers
- Gather all of your vegetables; wash and dry them.
- Let the wooden skewers soak in water for 5 minutes.
- Make the fajita seasoning marinade.
Chop the Veggies into Large Chunks
Chop the bell peppers and onions into large chunks, and the zucchini into about 1/4″ thick rounds.
Add to Skewers
Slide onto pre-soaked skewers, leaving just a small space in between.
Time to Grill
Make sure grill has been heated to medium-high heat.
Then place the vegetable kabobs on the grill in a single layer, brushing with the marinade.
Grill the veggies about 5 minutes, flip, brush with marinade again and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes.
Let the veggies get a little charred for extra smoky flavor.
Ways to Serve Grilled Vegetable Skewers
Veggie kabobs can be served in a variety of ways. The fajita seasoning makes them perfect for, you guessed it, fajitas!
Of course, they can also be used for a variety of other meals like taco salads, power bowls, or just enjoyed as a vegetable side dish alongside some grilled chicken, maybe some chili spiced grilled sweet potatoes, too.
How to Prepare Ahead of Time
If you’re looking to get some meal prep out of the way, preparing the vegetable kabobs in advance is a great way to save you some time during dinner.
- Prep the skewers (soak in water) and chop the vegetables
- Place vegetables on skewers
- Prepare the marinade in a small bowl and cover.
- Place all items in fridge until ready to grill.
This can be done 1-2 days in advance!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Grilled Veggie Kabobs
Put those summer vegetables to good use with grilled veggie kabobs! Great for fajitas, grilling sides and serving a crowd.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- wooden skewers or metal skewers
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Soak wooden skewers in water.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the fajita seasoned marinade by combining all ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- Chop bell peppers and red onion into large chunks, and zucchini into about 1/4′ thick rounds
- Place vegetables on soaked skewers, alternating the vegetables as you go, leaving just a little space in between.
- Transfer vegetable kabobs to the grill in a single layer, brushing with the marinade. Grill the veggies about 5 minutes, flip, brush with marinade again and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes. Let the veggies get a little charred for extra smoky flavor.
- Remove vegetable kabobs from grill, placing on metal sheet and covering with foil until ready to enjoy.
Store leftovers in covered container in fridge; best enjoyed within 1-2 days.
Keywords: kabob veggies, veggie kabobs on the grill, veggie kabob marinade