A simple Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with cranberries & walnuts – perfect for gatherings. Gluten-free, plus can easily be made paleo and/or vegan (just leave out the parmesan shreds!).
If you would have told me 10 years ago that brussels sprouts would be one of my top 10 favorite foods I probably would have said “Ew, absolutely not.”
But guys, I LOVE THEM now. I honestly love them pretty much all ways – except steamed/boiled because that is just gross. That is exactly why people have such bad feelings towards brussels sprouts in the first place! Maybe it was the generation before me, or my grandparents generation that decided it was an okay thing to do – boiling brussels sprouts – but its just wrong. Is there anyone who actually likes boiled brussels? Would the boiled brussels sprouts lovers please stand up?
Alright but seriously brussels sprouts this time of year are theee best. So many ways to prepare my favorite vegetable for all the gatherings coming up…
Or you can serve them shredded and raw – no cooking necessary! So I bring you:
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
This brussels sprouts salad recipe is quite simple and doesn’t take too much time at all. You can even prep everything the day before and then add the dressing before you’re ready to serve.
I started with fresh brussels sprouts and then shredded them using my food processor. You can also buy pre-shredded brussels sprouts if your local grocer carries them. I know Trader Joe’s has tons of prepped items like that – huge time-saver!
So if you’re buying brussels sprouts whole and you don’t have a food processor/slicing attachment, you can also carefully cut the brussels sprouts very thin. Or you can use a mandoline slicer. I would recommend using a cutting glove if going either of those routes though. Don’t want to lose a fingertip!
And the rest of the ingredients are really simple: toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and a simple homemade dressing.
Everything gets mixed together in one bowl and then it’s just tossing together to coat the brussels sprouts.
OH. But I felt compelled to add some cheese here. You could definitely serve it without if you have a gathering with dairy-free or vegan peeps. Or maybe you just have a little bowl of parmesan shreds on the side.
Or if you have cheese lovers on your hands (my family) just sprinkle that goodness right into the bowl.
The saltiness of the cheese really does compliment the sweet dried berries quite well in this brussels sprouts salad.
But that is basically it! Super simple, light, paleo/vegan-friendly and gluten-free. It’s the perfect side dish for the holidays.
I mean, we have to balance all those potatoes with some greens right?
A simple Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with cranberries & walnuts – perfect for gatherings. Gluten-free, plus can easily be made paleo and/or vegan (just leave out the parmesan shreds!)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (chopped, then measured)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 TBS red wine vinegar
- 1/2 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Toast walnuts: Preheat oven to 325ºF. Place walnuts on baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes. Transfer walnuts to heat-safe bowl; set aside.
- Shred brussels sprouts: Use slicer attachment on food processor to shred brussels sprouts thinly. Alternatively you can slice thinly with knife or mandoline slicer.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder and salt. Set aside
- Place shredded brussels sprouts in medium-large bowl with toasted walnuts and cranberries. Pour in dressing and toss with tongs to coat. Add in parmesan cheese (if using) and toss again.
- Transfer brussels sprouts salad to serving dish. Enjoy!
Recipe can be easily double if serving a larger crowd.
You can prepare salad ingredients and dressing separately 1-2 days beforehand. Toss salad with dressing before serving.
- Category: salad
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with cranberries and walnuts, healthy salad recipe, cranberry salad
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.