Kickoff the holiday season with these healthy Thanksgiving side dishes. These easy recipes include everything from casseroles to soups to autumn salad ideas. You’ll also find the vegetarian, gluten-free and plant-based sides.
With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought it would be a *brilliant beyond brilliant idea* (my favorite line from The Parent Trap) to bring you loads of classic Thanksgiving side dishes that are lightened up.
Sides are obviously the best part about Thanksgiving. I always have a hard time choosing what to make myself… I want to bring something made with whole foods, maybe a little on the healthier side, but it can’t compromise on flavor. Sides everyone will love, no matter what!
Before we get to sharing some of the best Thanksgiving sides to make this year, let’s talk about Thanksgiving prep work!
Make Ahead Tips
- Prep Ahead – A lot of recipes you can make through a certain step, then finish them off the day you’re ready to have your Thanksgiving dinner. If you’re hosting or making multiple dishes, be sure to check for recipes that this would work with.
- Freeze – Are there recipes you can make ahead, freeze, then warm up in the oven when it’s time for your Thanksgiving meal? It might surprise you that you can freeze soups, mashed potatoes, bread for your stuffing, rolls, and more.
- Limiting Oven Space – Look for sides that you can keep out of the oven so you don’t have to time things around limited oven space. This can be putting sides made in the instant pot, slow cooker, or salads.
Ready for some Thanksgiving sides inspiration?
Vegetable Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
This Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Squash recipe is a must! Delicious roasted veggies tossed in an almond butter balsamic dressing. It’s the perfect, healthy side dish for your next meal and great for holiday sides too. Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Paleo Friendly, too!
Lightened Up Thanksgiving Favorites
Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Oat Crumble – the perfect side dish for your holiday table. Easy to make, lots of flavor and gluten-free friendly too. The whole family will love this!
A simple fall kale salad with massaged kale, honeycrisp apples, goat cheese, and paired with a maple tahini dressing.
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries & Walnuts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Farro Salad – The Healthy Maven
- Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad – All the Healthy Things
- Farro & Kale Butternut Squash Salad
Delicious Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes
The best Vegan Cornbread recipe that’s soft, tender, and sweet – and just so happens to be gluten-free! Serve it with chili, BBQ, or as a side dish for the holidays. A simple, easy, and quick recipe.
Easy Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese! A healthier, lightened up version of your childhood favorite. A simple and quick recipe – no baking required! Gluten-free friendly using your favorite pasta. Kid-friendly, mom-approved.
The Best Thanksgiving Soups Recipes
You NEED this Butternut Squash Soup in your life! It comes together super quick if using a pressure cooker, but directions for the stovetop are also included. Vegan, paleo and even Whole30® compliant.
Let me know if you make anything!
Be sure to leave a comment and review on what you’ve made! I love hearing from you and it helps others learn more about the recipes too.