A simple fall kale salad with massaged kale, honeycrisp apples, goat cheese, and paired with a maple tahini dressing.
I threw together this kale apple salad the other week and I immediately knew I wanted to share it here.
Kale + honeycrisp apples + maple tahini dressing = HEAVEN.
Throw in some goat cheese, sweet & spicy acorn squash, and pepitas for even more flavor and you’ve got yourself the perfect autumn salad.
What’s in this Fall Kale Salad
- kale – I used two kinds: curly purple kale and lacinato.
- apples – honeycrisp are the best here!
- acorn squash – I used my sweet and spicy acorn squash recipe here. But butternut squash works too.
- goat cheese – feta would be delicious too.
- pepitas – also known as pumpkin seeds. I like that they provide some crunch.
- homemade salad dressing – One of my favorite recipes for maple tahini dressing.
Salad Tip: Massage the Kale
Trust me when I say massaging kale is a must before throwing together a kale salad.
Once you’ve washed and tried your kale, massage some extra virgin olive oil into the kale leaves and it will take away the bitterness while adding flavor.
The Best Maple Tahini Dressing
I almost always make a homemade dressing for fall salads because you often can’t find store bought dressings like this.
- maple syrup
- stoneground mustard
- apple cider vinegar
Plus, healthy homemade salad dressings are too easy (and less expensive).
One you’ve massaged your kale, and roasted the squash, all you have to do is slice the apples, crumble the goat cheese and serve with a sprinkle of pepitas and maple tahini dressing.
A simple recipe perfect as a side dish or a great start to a dinner salad – just throw on some protein and maybe some farro and you’ve got yourself a meal!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Fall Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
A simple fall kale salad with massaged kale, Honeycrisp apples, goat cheese, and paired with a maple tahini dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 large salads 1x
- Category: salads
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 bunch kale, washed, dried, chopped and massaged with olive oil
- 1 large honeycrisp apple, sliced
- sweet & spicy acorn squash (1 small squash
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 2 ounces goat cheese
maple tahini dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon stoneground mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 2–3 tablespoons water, to thin as needed
- Add massaged kale, sliced apples and cut (cooked) squash to a large bowl. Add crumbled goat cheese and pepitas.
- Make dressing: add all ingredients to small blender or food processor. Add water to thin dressing to desired consistency (I used 2 tablespoons).
- Pour dressing over salad, serve and enjoy!
Store leftover dressing in fridge, enjoy within one week. Dressing may thicken in fridge overnight – add water and mix to thin.
Keywords: fall salad, kale salad, homemade dressing