Sharing our favorite and most used pantry staples at the Fit Mitten Kitchen Headquarters. These are baking supplies that I use almost every day and in all the recipes on my website.
Whether you’re new to healthy baking or just trying to find some new favorites, it can be overwhelming to find the right products to successfully bake with. In this post, you’ll find my favorites flours, sweeteners, dry goods, spices, and more.
Looking for Baking Tools & Essentials?
If you’re looking for our favorite and most used baking tools, check out the blog post we did about our FMK baking essentials. These are tools I use almost every day and with all of the baked goods on my site.
Whether you’re just starting to learn your way around the kitchen or you need to get some new ingredients to swap out for healthier baked goods, this list is perfect! These are my go to pantry stables that are used almost daily in my kitchen.
- Flour: There are endless options for alternative flours, but a few of my favorites are:
- Canned Pumpkin: What’s a world without pumpkin? Ok, it’s a little dramatic I know, but pumpkin is definitely a baking staple.
- Canned Coconut Milk: Having canned milk on hand is always helpful for when vegan baking, but comes in handy for your making a quick curry dinner that’s always a crowd pleaser. Plus, they don’t expire as quickly as refrigerator dairy free milk,
- Bulk Nuts: I love having bulk nuts in my pantry because they come in handy for homemade nut butter, mixed in cookies, or for the best homemade granola. A few of my favorites are:
- Chocolate Chips: They’re a must for cookies, the best no bake cookie dough bars, and grabbing a little scoop when you need a quick chocolate fix.
- Chocolate Bars: Having a little stash of chocolate bars for baking (or a late night craving) is always a good idea!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Chocolate muffins, chocolate bread, chocolate cake…need I say more? This is my favorite because the taste is superior and the container is great for storage.
- Coconut Oil: I use this oil when melting chocolate for dipping and drizzling and it’s great to have on hand.
- Avocado Oil: A great neutral oil to bake with.
- Milled Flaxseed (meal) + Chia Seeds: These are great for mixing into oats, granola, and more to give them a nutrient boost! Plus, you can use flaxseed to make an easy vegan egg replacement.
- Maple Syrup + Honey: Both are great natural sweeteners to have on hand for baking and healthy drinks.
- Organic Powdered Sugar: Alright, so not a “healthy” ingredient, but a staple when making cakes and frostings.
- Oats: Having oats in the pantry are a must have for breakfast oats, granola, and even snacks. I like having multiple varieties so I can use them in a variety of recipes. I always have the following on hand:
- Peanut Butter: What’s a pantry without peanut butter? It’s perfect for smoothies, energy balls, and the best peanut butter eggs!
- Cashew Butter: If not making homemade cashew butter, storebought works too! It’s a great nut butter to keep on hand for healthy treats.
- Almond Butter: from my favorite homemade dressing to cookies to topping toast – it’s just a staple that you have to have.
- Vanilla Extract: this is a must have for almost anything you bake!
- Almond Extract: I love using almond extract in my baking to give it a depth of flavor.
- Spices: Having the right spices for baking are key to delicious and flavorful baked goods. When making quick breads and muffins I often use these spices:
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: I always have both on hand because different recipes require different leavening agents.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Used to make homemade dairy-free “buttermilk” but also helps with the rise in some gluten free or vegan baking recipes.
If you’re looking for more favorites at Fit Mitten Kitchen headquarters, head to our shop page where we have essentials, pantry staples, and more!