Because why wouldn’t we want to sneak veggies into chocolate? You need this Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread in your life STAT. Gluten free thanks to almond flour, dairy free, with no coconut.
Yes, I’ve made yet another almond flour bread for you. I won’t stop until I have every possible flavor combination on FMK.
I’ve been testing this particular paleo bread for the past several weeks, and it’s finally ready for your eyes…
And bellies, assuming you’ll be making this ASAP.
Why You’ll Love This
This paleo bread recipe is the perfect healthy chocolate zucchini bread you’ve been waiting for
- deliciously moist
- gluten free (thanks to the almond flour)
- free of coconut (no flour or oil needed here!)
- DOUBLE CHOCOLATE because we’re using cocoa powder AND chocolate chips.
Always need chocolate chips in chocolate zucchini bread.
If I start thinking about it too much, putting zucchini in quick bread still kind of confuses me.
Who thought of such a thing? And then to put it in CHOCOLATE bread?
Well, I’m not here to argue because obviously it’s delicious.
- blanched almond flour – make sure the almond flour you’re using is from blanched almonds, not whole raw almond (which is almond “meal”).
- unsweetened cocoa powder – or cacao powder. Just not dutch process.
- tapioca flour – helps hold the flour and cocoa together. I haven’t tried subbing arrowroot but I’ve heard from readers that works in my other recipes. Or use 3 TBSP coconut flour.
- baking soda – leavening agent
- salt – just a smidge
- eggs – adds structure to the bread.
- oil – keeps this bread tender without it being too wet (I tried to replace with milk and it just didn’t have the same texture.)
- maple syrup – the maple syrup adds the liquid ratio as well so I wouldn’t replace it with a dry sweetener without compensating for another liquid.
- shredded zucchini – I used a box grater. You can use either the smaller or medium grater side. If using the smaller shreds, your zucchini shreds may disappear (at least they did for me when testing!) I used the medium shreds the second time around. Either way, make sure you squeeze *all* of the liquid out. If you don’t do this, you’ll have a hard time getting the bread to cook through all the way.
- chocolate chips – duh!
How to make paleo chocolate zucchini bread
- First grate the zucchini – I used a box grater and kept the zucchini shreds more medium the second time I made this (images do show finer shreds). Use a cheesecloth or super fine mesh bag (I use these) to strain all of the water out. This is very important or your bread won’t bake through.
- Mix the dry ingredients separately. This helps to make sure the cocoa powder and almond flour get incorporated, along with the tapioca flour, baking soda and salt. Set the bowl of dry ingredients aside.
- For the wet ingredients you’ll first mix together the maple syrup and oil, then whisk in the three eggs. Make sure the eggs are thoroughly combined.
- All that’s left is to combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, then finally folding in the zucchini and the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to a lined 8×4 loaf pan and bake the bread for about 25 minutes uncovered, then add foil to top and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Your bread is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean (no wet batter).
Check For Doneness
My loaf was done at the 44 minute mark – but everyone’s ovens are different.
Use the toothpick method and your loaf top should look like this below.
This chocolate chocolate chip zucchini bread is a moist one and SO delicious. If you keep it in the fridge, it almost tastes like a fudgy brownie!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you and it helps others learn more about the recipe, too! Xx AshleyPrint
Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
The BEST Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe! Gluten free and paleo friendly thanks to almond flour, dairy free, no coconut in this recipe and perfectly moist.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed, grated zucchini, water squeezed out (about 2 small zucchini)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 3 TBSP mini dark chocolate chips (for top of loaf, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 8×4 medium loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl add almond flour, cocoa powder, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Pour dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients and begin to stir. As batter begins to moisten, add in shredded zucchini (make sure water has been squeezed out!) and chocolate chips. Batter should be thick and wet but spreadable. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake chocolate bread for 25 minutes uncovered, then add foil and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Be sure to check the bread after baking for 40 minutes total – the edges may darken but the bread will be ready when inserted toothpick comes out with no wet batter. The middle may fall slightly, this is okay! The bread still tastes delicious.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes before lifting from the parchment paper to remove bread. Slice into about 1″ thick slices. Enjoy!
Use an additional 1/4 cup of granulated sugar of choice if you want a little sweeter bread.
Keywords: paleo zucchini bread, double chocolate zucchini bread, almond flour bread recipe