Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats are a quick and easy healthy breakfast you can meal prep at the beginning of the week. Whip it together in 5 minutes and let the overnight soak do the rest of the work for you. Vegan and Dairy-Free options, too!
I am a big fan of overnight oats. They are hearty, nourishing and SO easy. While I love strawberry overnight oats, matcha overnight oats and banana bread overnight oats, chocolate always seems to make everything better. This version is basically like cookie dough flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Healthy and filling, with a plenty of protein, fat and fiber!
- Prepared in just 5 minutes with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Super customizable since you can swap out one ingredient for another.
- A meal prep lover’s dream – breakfast for the week, done.
This list of ingredients is what you would typically find in most overnight oats recipes, with the special addition of chocolate chips. Most are part of my healthy baking pantry. Here’s what we need:
- Greek yogurt or Skyr yogurt – Both are super rich and thick and provide a good amount of tang and protein. Feel free to use dairy or plant-based, whichever you prefer. Just stick to plain for a clean base flavor.
- Milk – Go for whatever you have on hand – cashew, hemp, almond, soy or even oat milk to really round out the oat-y flavor. Regular dairy milk can also be used.
- Maple syrup – for a touch of sweetness. Feel free to omit it or use it as a topping instead.
- Vanilla extract – for floral sweetness.
- Cashew butter – for a buttery flavor and rich texture. Cashew butter will provide a more neutral flavor. But feel free to use almond butter, peanut butter or even sunbutter.
- Rolled oats or quick oats – Rolled oats will give more of a chewy texture, whereas quick oats will blend and sort of melt into the yogurt mixture.
- Chia seeds – for texture and subtle crunch. The chia seeds also help absorb any excess moisture and create a thicker texure. Plus, we get the benefit of fiber, protein and all those healthy omega-3’s!
- Ground cinnamon – for warming flavor and aroma.
- Mini chocolate chips – the star of the show! Use Enjoy Life brand for a dairy-free and vegan option.
TIP: To make this recipe dairy-free and vegan, stick to plant-based versions of yogurt and milk. You can even replace the yogurt entirely with dairy-free milk, if that’s more your style.
How to Make
Overnight oats with chocolate chips are a one-bowl masterpiece. Here’s how to do it:
Combine Wet Ingredients
In a medium bowl whisk together yogurt, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cashew butter until smooth and well combined.
Add Dry Ingredients
Into the same bowl with the yogurt mixture, stir in the oats, chia seeds, ground cinnamon and mini chocolate chips.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or portion into individual mason jars or storage containers. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
In the morning, taste test for consistency and add a few more splashes of milk or a touch more maple syrup, if you like. Enjoy hot or cold with your favorite toppings.
Overnight Oats Ratio
Through my many overnight oats adventures, I have found the best ratio to be a 1:1 ratio of oats-to-milk, with the addition of half as much yogurt (or 1/2 cup more milk).
So basically, 1 cup oats + 1 cup milk of choice + 1/2 cup yogurt.
This gives the oats just the right consistency without being too thick or too loose.
How Long Do Overnight Oats Need to Soak?
While it’s in the name, overnight oats technically do not have to soak overnight. I have found a minimum of 2 hours to be enough time for the oats to soften and absorb some of the liquid.
For true overnight oats, you’ll want to soak them for at least 8-10 hours.
Also, it depends on the types of oats used. Steel cut overnight oats will need at least 8 hours.
While you can, of course, enjoy the oatmeal with chocolate chips just as is, I like to jazz it up with all different kinds of toppings. You could try:
- Extra mini chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate shavings
- Maple syrup drizzle
- Extra spoonful of cashew butter, peanut butter or almond butter
- Toasted cashews, almonds or walnuts – great crunch factor!
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or toasted coconut flakes
- My chocolate granola for crunch
- Bananas or raspberries would be delicious too!
TIP: For a layered, parfait effect, spoon 1-2 tablespoons nut butter into the bottom of your jar or serving dish, then top with the oats and extra toppings.
Serving Suggestions – Hot or Cold
Depending on my mood – or what the weather may be like outside – I like to enjoy these chocolate overnight oats hot or cold. Here are my tips:
- Warm / Hot: Scoop out your desired portion into a microwave-safe bowl and add a couple splashes of milk. Heat through in the microwave in 20-30-second increments, stirring each time in between, until your desired temperature is reached.
- Cold: Enjoy straight from the fridge in your favorite breakfast bowl or mug!
How to Store
Overnight oats will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. Store them in the same bowl you mixed it in or in individual mason jars or meal prep containers.
The oats will soften more the longer they sit and the texture will thicken as the days go by, so you may have to add an extra splash or two of milk come days 4-5.
More Overnight Oats Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mocha Overnight Oats
- Golden Milk Overnight Oats
- Coffee Cashew Butter Overnight Oats
- Post Workout Overnight Oats
If you make this Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you, and it helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats
Chocolate Chip Overnight Oats are a quick and easy healthy breakfast you can meal prep at the beginning of the week. Whip it together in 5 minutes and let the overnight soak do the rest of the work for you! Vegan and Dairy-Free options, too!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Overnight
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup Greek or Skyr yogurt (dairy or plant-based)
- 1 cup milk of choice (i.e. cashew, hemp, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Combine: Add wet ingredients to a medium bowl – yogurt, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cashew butter – stir well until combined.
- Add dry ingredients: Stir in oats, chia seeds, pinch of ground cinnamon and mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate: Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. You can portion into individual servings or store in larger bowl.
- Enjoy: In the morning, taste test for consistency – you can stir in a couple splashes of milk if you’d like it thinner. Enjoy hot or cold with your favorite toppings.
STORAGE – Overnight oats will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. The oats will soften and thicken as they sit, so you may have to add a splash or two of milk on days 4-5.
Keywords: chocolate chip overnight oats, overnight oats with chocolate chips, chocolate overnight oats recipe