Creamy coffee + cashew butter overnight oats are the way to my meal prepping heart. Vegan and gluten-free friendly recipe.
Oh back to school… Back to school… To prove to Dad that I’m not a fool.
That Billy Madison always in my head this time of year.
I’m actually heading up to my alma mater for the weekend to spend some time with old friends. It also happens to be “Welcome Weekend” which means I’ll be feeling preeettyy old. I can’t believe it will be 11 years since my first year of college! That is just crazy talk. And yes, I’m obviously dating myself.
But do you know what I wish I had in college? Freaking overnight oats. They’re so easy, great for on-the-go, healthy and crazy filling. I don’t feel like overnight oats were even a thing in my college days. Here we go again, showing my age.
Anyways… Overnight oats would be the perfect hearty breakfast to take with you to that 8am lecture. Or if you’re in the work force and you’re looking for a great desk brekkie, overnight oats are for the win.
OR if you’re coming home from school/work/gym and need a snack, OVERNIGHT OATS. They’re actually quite versatile and the flavor combinations essentially endless. There is definitely something for everyone out there.
And if you’re a coffee plus cashew butter lover, well here you go:
Creamy Coffee Cashew Butter Overnight Oats
Why not combine two of life’s glorious foods (coffee and cashew butter) into one lovely little overnight oats combo? AND maybe you even skip the latte of coffee cup because you already have coffee IN your breakfast? Maybe?
Yeah, you’re right. We still need both.
What you need
- large jar
- oats – steel cut, quick or rolled
- chia seeds
- cashew butter
- vanilla extract
- milk of choice
- instant coffee (see notes)
- option to add protein powder
Overnight oats are easily one of the simplest things to prep and most of time you probably already have everything in your pantry.
All you need to do is place everything in a jar, shake it all up and place it in the fridge to thicken and soak up the oats for a few hours. The type of oats you use will factor in how much time is needed for soaking, as well as how much liquid.
steel cut vs rolled oats
- steel cut oats – Hold their texture better, offer a chewier taste.
- rolled or quick oats – Won’t need as much time to soften and have a mushier texture. Sorry I don’t know how else to describe it.
I’ve actually come to enjoy both ways, but when I first started out eating overnight oats I only ate them with steel cut (this recipe) because I didn’t care for the mushy rolled oats. So if you were like me and unsure of the texture of overnight oats, I’d recommend trying them with steel cut.
I hope you enjoy this little flavor combination and your breakfast situation is made much easier with these coffee cashew butter overnight oats.
Let me know if you try them! Leave a comment and review on the blog. XX
These Coffee Cashew Butter Overnight Oats are the best thing for meal prep. You just need a few pantry ingredients, a large jar and overnight fridge time. Vegan and gluten-free friendly recipe.
STEEL CUT OATS VERSION
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 TBSP chia seeds
- 2 tsp instant espresso or coffee, to taste (I used Four Sigmatic)
- 1 1/2 TBSP creamy cashew butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk of choice (i.e. almond, cashew, coconut, hemp, etc.)
QUICK OATS VERSION
- Using at least a 16oz jar, place all ingredients in jar, starting with oats, chia seeds, coffee, cashew butter, maple syrup (if using) and milk.
- Stir ingredients using large spoon or seal jar with tight lid and shake until mixed.
- Place jar in fridge overnight for at least 12 hours if using steel cut oats, and about 4-6 hours if using quick or rolled oats.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: fridge
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: meal prep breakfast, steel cut overnight oats, gluten-free oats