Easy Golden Milk Overnight Oats. A superfoods healthy drink turned into a quick grab-n-go filling breakfast! This meal has healthy fats, good carbs, fiber and protein. Plus anti-inflammatory affects thanks to turmeric. Vegan and gluten-free friendly.
Guys I’ve found my new favorite quick breakfast: GOLDEN MILK OVERNIGHT OATS. Yes, it’s happening.
So golden milk… Are you familiar with this super healthy drink? If you’re a health-conscious foodie who frequents the internet and other food blogs, chances are yes. Or maybe you haven’t come across this magical drink just yet. If not, traditionally speaking it is a combination of coconut milk, turmeric and spices, coconut oil, and traces of black pepper. Why black pepper? It is said it increases your body’s ability to absorb the nutrients from turmeric.
What makes golden milk so special?
In short >>
- Turmeric- contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Cinnamon– is also said to be great for inflammation, among other things.
- Coconut oil– (and milk) contains very healthy fats with MCTs (medium-chaintriglycerides) which can actually increase fat burning compared to fats with long-chain triglycerides.
Something I may not talk about on the blog a lot is how much I believe food can be medicine. I am not a registered nutritionist or holistic health coach so I don’t like to share a ton on the matter. However over the past several years of changing my eating habits and doing a little research on my own, I’ve realized just how much food can have an impact on your overall health. It’s actually pretty awesome if you think about it… I can’t remember the last time I’ve been really sick, knock on wood. Plus I’d rather spend my money on food over pills any day.
Anyways! So golden milk and turmeric recipes are taking the internet by storm. In the winter time I often like to make Golden Milk Lattes, but I hadn’t thought about adding them to cold recipes until recently. These overnight oats were basically a no-brainer.
Golden Milk Overnight Oats
Of course I am not the only one who thought this. Golden milk seems to be seriously trending at the moment. Over the past several days articles have popped up on PopSugar, Brit &Co, not to mention countless bloggers’ sites putting their own awesome spin on golden milk recipes. (I linked some recipes up at the bottom for you!)
If you’re not a fan of turmeric, I’m not 100% sure you will love this recipe. But if you like overnight oats and are a fan of chai, I definitely think you should try this out!
How to make Golden Milk Overnight Oats
Once you warm up the golden milk on the stove, all that’s left to do is mix everything in a jar and let the mixture soak in the fridge overnight.
Oh one more thing… I’ve said this before, but I prefer overnight oats made with steel cut, so that is what I used for this recipe. If you’re like me and not sold on the mushy texture one can associate with overnight oats, I highly suggest trying them with steel cut. It helps keep the chewy factor! Of course if you’re an overnight oats master and like them with traditional rolled oats or quick, that works too.
Easy Golden Milk Overnight Oats. A super healthy drink turned into a quick grab-n-go filling breakfast! This meal has healthy fats, good carbs, fiber and protein. Plus anti-inflammatory affects thanks to turmeric. Vegan and gluten-free friendly.
- 1 cup coconut milk*
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 TBS coconut oil
- honey, to taste ( I used about 1 TBS)
for the oats:
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats*
- 1 1/2 TBS chia seeds
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, whisk together milk and spices until warm. Add in honey and coconut oil. Whisk again until honey is dissolved. Do not let mixture come to a boil. Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a 16oz jar, add oats, chia seeds, and optional add-ins if using. Pour cooled golden milk mixture into jar and tightly cover with lid. Shake jar until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Store in fridge for 6-8 hours before serving.
- Serve with fresh fruit, flaked coconut, sprinkle more cinnamon, add nut butter, etc. and enjoy!
*I used coconut milk from the carton. You can also use other non-dairy milk if you prefer.
*I prefer my overnight oats with steel cut, if using quick or rolled oats, I would bump up the amount to about 3/4-1 cup oats. You also may need a couple more tablespoons of liquid.
*If adding vegan protein powder, you will likely need to increase the liquid depending on the blend. I added an additional 3-4 TBS after adding mixing all ingredients in jar. If using whey or collagen peptides, no extra liquid is really necessary.
Recipe can be easily double and split into 4 individual jars, 2 16oz jars, or 1 large 32oz jar. Oats will keep in fridge 3-4 days.
Prep time refers to overnight fridge time
Nutrition based on unsweetened coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 12
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 9
Keywords: on the go breakfasts, golden milk recipes, vegan overnight oats
- Have you tried “golden milk”?
- Do you add turmeric to your foods for the flavor or health benefits, or both?
“Golden Milk” recipes from friends
- Vegan Baked Golden Milk Donuts — Dairy of an Ex Sloth
- Golden Milk Oatmeal Smoothie — Running with Spoons
- Healthy No Bake High Protein Golden Milk Bites — The Big Mans World
- Golden Milk Ice Cream — Minimalist Baker