An easy make-ahead breakfast; these Matcha Overnight Oats use steel cut oats, yogurt, chia seeds, and protein powder for a meal that will keep you feeling full. Plus you get the health benefits of matcha green tea!
*post and photos updated March 2019*
Overnight oats. Love ’em or hate ’em?
I remember when the overnights oats craze started. My Pinterest feed flooded with all kinds of ways to enjoy them. But I just couldn’t get on board… the thought of cold mushy oats did not appeal to me.
My coworkers at my previous job loved them. I remember one was so excited about her make-ahead mason jar breakfast discovery and she finally got me to give them a try. Even putting them together the night before I was still a little skeptical. And sure enough the next morning I sat down at my desk, jar and spoon in hand… Underwhelmed by the cold mush I was eating. I think I actually ended up warming them up because I just couldn’t handle it.
Fast forward several years later and I actually love all kinds of overnight oats recipes. I know I know.
BUT. What changed my mind?
Sure enough I liked those much better. Steel cut overnight oats quickly found their way into my weekly breakfast routine.
Matcha Overnight Oats
How to put together overnight oats
More about Matcha Green Tea
Matcha is a traditional Japanese green tea that comes with many health benefits.
Cancer Prevention: Matcha contains antioxidants called catechins, which are not found in other foods. The catechin found in green tea, EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) provides cancer-fighting properties. EGCg and other catechins counteract the effects of dangerous free radicals coming from chemicals, radiation, UV rays, which can all lead to cell and DNA damage.
Aids* in Weight Loss: I don’t want this benefit to be held with too much high regard, but there is research shown that consuming matcha can help boost metabolism and burn fat.
Lowers LDL “Bad” Cholesterol: The catechin found in green tea, EGCg, also aids in lowering cholesterol levels.
More Matcha Recipes
- Whole Grain Matcha Muffins
- Spiced Matcha Latte
- Flourless Paleo Brownies with Matcha Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups
- Vanilla Mint Matcha Shake
- Blueberry Matcha Waffles
Let me know if you try this recipe by leaving a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you and it helps others find the recipe too!
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBSP steel cut oats* (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 TBS chia seeds
- 28g plant based vanilla protein powder
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/3 cup TBS yogurt (plant based or Greek)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- In a 16oz jar (or larger), combine all of your ingredients from steel cut oats to milk, and stir well until thoroughly mixed. You can also seal jar and shake.
- You can divide oats into two 8oz jars, or keep in one large jar. Allow matcha oats to thicken overnight, or at least 4 hours, until liquid is absorbed. Check for desired thickness in the morning – stir in a couple tablespoons of more milk if desired.
- Add your toppings like blueberries, crunchy granola, nut butter, etc. and enjoy straight from the jar.
OATS: You may replace steel cut oats with 1/4 of quick or rolled oats, I just enjoy the texture of steel cut better! Protein powder: You may need a few more tablespoons of liquid depending on protein powder used. Simply check your overnight oats in the morning or after 4 hours and if the mixture is very thick, stir in 2-3 more tablespoons of milk. There is no added sugar in this recipe, because the protein powder I typically use is sweetened. If you’re looking for a little sweeter flavor, I suggest raw honey or pure maple syrup if strictly vegan. Cook time refers to overnight fridge time. Overnight oats can be prepped ahead of time up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 26
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 1
NOTE: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Purchasing products listed through the links comes at no extra charge to you, but I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Fit Mitten Kitchen!