Golden milk spices + cashews + coconut = golden milk coconut cashew butter. Get excited for this deliciousness! (And don’t wear white while enjoying.)
Back in early 2017, FMK went through what I would call a little “golden milk” phase.
Golden Milk Overnight Oats started my obsession and not long after the following happened:
- Golden Milk Latte (AKA Turmeric Latte)
- Golden Milk Cashew Butter Cups
- (Golden Milk inspired) Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies
And if you’ve never heard of such a thing (golden milk) you’re probably wondering what the heck it is.
So what is Golden Milk exactly?
Traditionally, golden milk was a warm beverage used in ancient Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Over the past few years it has gained popularity in mainstream Western culture.
From what I can gather, a traditional golden milk recipe is made with turmeric spice, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, coconut oil and milk. Most recipes today call for coconut milk or another non-dairy milk, but I can’t find any research on what was used back in ancient times.
If you’re curious about the black pepper, it’s said it helps with the curcumin absorption, but I felt a little odd adding it to this homemade nut butter recipe.
Anyways, because turmeric’s main active ingredient is curcumin (anti-inflammatory and antioxidant) and turmeric is what creates the yellow hue of “Golden Milk”, most would argue that golden milk is a fairly healthy drink. As long as you’re not adding loads of sugar to the mix, like us Westerners tend to do…
I digress. Let’s move on to the recipe!
Golden Milk Coconut Cashew Butter
So what I’ve done with this homemade cashew butter recipe is take the essence of “golden milk” and turn it into a delicious spreadable nut butter concoction that one can put on their toast, stuff into Medjool dates, dip strawberries into, make cookies with and obviously enjoy by the spoonful.
Ingredients for Golden Milk Cashew Butter
- shredded unsweetened coconut – make sure it’s shredded, not flaked and unsweetened.
- cashews – raw or dry roasted, but definitely not salted.
- ground turmeric
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- coconut oil – as needed for helping to blend the nut butter smoother and quicker. You can also use sunflower oil, or another light oil. Or just be extra patient with your food processor / high powered blender.
How to Make Homemade Golden Milk Cashew Butter
- First roast your cashews if they’re raw. I personally prefer to buy raw cashews and dry roast them myself. Doing this will also blend the cashew butter a bit quicker, as the nuts will still be warm when you begin to process them and they’ll break down faster.
- Once the cashews have cooled slightly, add into the bowl of your food processor (or high powered blender – Vitamix or similar) with the unsweetened shredded coconut and spices. Begin to process, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. If you’re unfamiliar with making homemade cashew butter, I encourage you to check out this post, where I break what the stages of making nut butter looks like.
- Once the nuts begin to break down and the natural oils release, the mixture will get super thick – this is when you can add coconut oil (or another light oil) to help speed up the process and smooth the cashew butter out quicker.
And above is what the golden milk coconut cashew butter will look like when the process is complete. It should be smooth and creamy!
The longer you blend, the smoother and “drippier” it will be, so just keep that in mind. And be patient 🙂
More Turmeric & Golden Milk Recipes to Inspire you
- Chocolate Chunk Turmeric Cashew Butter Cookies
- Medjool Date Golden Milk Latte
- Golden Milk Cashew Butter Cups
- Golden Milk Overnight Oats
- Spring Veggie Power Bowl with Turmeric Tahini Dressing
More Cashew Butter Recipes You May Like
- Vanilla Bean Banana Cashew Butter
- Mango Cashew Butter
- Strawberry Coconut Cashew Butter
- Homemade Cashew Butter
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review below! I love hearing from you and it helps others find the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
“Golden Milk” Coconut Cashew Butter
A “Golden Milk” inspired coconut cashew butter recipe made with golden milk spices, shredded coconut and cashews. Vegan, paleo and no sugar added (Whole30® compliant).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes (includes cooling and processing)
- Yield: About 2 cups 1x
- Category: nut butters and spreads
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Indian-American
- 3 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (or other light oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 2 tsp vanilla powder
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and place cashews on a large baking sheet. Spread evenly in one layer; toast for 8-10 minutes. Let nuts cool on pan for 10 minutes.
- Place slightly cooled cashews in bowl of food processor with unsweetened coconut and spices; cover with lid. Process until everything breaks down and cashews start to almost get smooth. This is where you can oil to help speed things up. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary. The time it takes will depend on the power of your food processor or blender and bowl capacity.
- Once the coconut cashew butter is almost creamy, add vanilla; continue processing until desired consistency is reached – the longer you process, the smoother and drippier the butter will be. The bowl will likely be warm so allow the cashew butter to cool slightly before putting in jar.
- Transfer Golden Milk Coconut Cashew Butter to 16oz jar with lid. Or divide into smaller jars. Store at room temperature, or fridge for longer period of time.
- Enjoy on toast, over oatmeal, in cookies, or quite possibly by the spoonful.
I love my Breville Food Processor and can’t recommend it enough! Linked here. I’ve had it for 4 years, use it often and it still works like a champ.
You can sub almonds for the cashews, or use part almonds with cashews. You can also omit the coconut if needed. I would just aim for about 4 cups of nuts if omitting the coconut. Almonds also take longer to break down, so keep that in mind when processing.
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 11
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 15
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: golden milk recipe, golden milk benefits, homemade nut butter, cashew butter
Rate this Recipe