Are you ready for your new favorite plant based way to enjoy tacos?! Enter: Cauliflower Walnut Taco Meat! It’s way more delicious than it sounds, trust me! Loaded with taco spices, chipotle adobo sauce and baked for crispiness.
WALNUT TACO MEAT.
It’s kind of pretty awesome. And some of you might need some convincing but I promise, plant based taco “meat” is delicious and you must give it a try.
Ever since I made this recipe, where the cauliflower and walnuts served as the meat replacement in the bolognese sauce, I’ve been meaning to make a Mexican-inspired dish.
It’s taken me way too long to do so but we’re here now and that’s what counts.
Cauliflower Walnut Taco “Meat” Recipe
I’ve been enjoying more and more plant based dishes lately – not only creating them for you but adding them into our regular rotation as well.
It’s been fun getting creative with ways to incorporate more plants into our weekly menu. And using walnut taco meat is just the start of something amazing.
Think vegan taco salad bowls, vegan tacos, with tortilla chips for nachos heck – even vegetarian walnut quesadillas!
But let’s get back to basics here with what you need to make walnut taco meat.
Just 6 Simple Ingredients
- walnuts – the walnuts provide
- cauliflower –
- garlic – freshly minced garlic is the way to go here. But if you’re in a pinch, garlic powder works too.
- adobo sauce / chipotle peppers – I used this sauce but you can also use 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (typically canned, like these).
- spices – use a mix of chili powder (I used ancho), cumin, paprika, and a touch of oregano.
- salt – for flavor! I used a full teaspoon but you may want more or less. You can also taste-test after baking and add more.
Walnut Taco Meat in 30 Minutes
everything in the food processor
Place chopped cauliflower, walnuts, chipotle adobo sauce, spices, salt and pepper in bowl of food processor.
Process into small bits
Pulse until cauliflower and walnuts have broken down into small pieces.
Bake for 30 minutes
Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, giving the mixture a stir halfway through baking time.
And just like that you’ve got yourself delicious cauliflower walnut taco meat!
Who would have thought cauliflower and walnuts could create such Mexican magic?
Ways to Enjoy Walnut Taco Meat
- Go for a Meatless Monday vegan taco salad recipe
- Make a vegan taco power bowl with quinoa, black beans, corn, avocado and tomatoes (shown here)
- Change things up with cauliflower walnut tacos
- Cauliflower walnut nachos
- Vegetarian quesadillas
Really the possibilities are endless! Anywhere you’d use traditional taco meat, is fair game for this awesome plant based version!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- 1/2 medium-large head cauliflower, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 ½ TBSP chipotle pepper adodo sauce (see notes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease large baking sheet or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place chopped cauliflower, walnuts, chipotle adobo sauce, spices, salt and pepper in bowl of food processor; pulse until cauliflower and walnuts have broken down into small pieces. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, giving the mixture a stir halfway through baking time. Remove from oven once finished and let cool on sheet.
- Enjoy as tacos, taco salad bowls and more. Store leftovers in covered container in fridge; best used in 3-4 days.
recipe adapted from my Cauliflower Walnut Bolognese and Pinch of Yum