Sweet potato black bean tacos are easy and perfect for meal prep! Vegetarian and vegan friendly, these healthy tacos are great for kids too.
Kid friendly tip – I served the sweet potatoes and black beans to our 9 month old with a side of avocado and some shredded cheese and we all enjoyed taco night together. It’s a great baby led feeding/baby led weaning recipe!
Vegetarian Taco Recipe
Whether you’re looking to make healthy tacos, or just love a good plant based meal, these sweet potato tacos with black beans are so good!
Healthy Tacos Ingredients
- olive oil, for cooking and roasting
- roasted sweet potatoes, black beans and yellow onion
- favorite taco shells
- avocado or guacamole
- salsa or pico de gallo
- cilantro, finely chopped
- favorite cheese, plant based or cotija cheese for vegetarian
- romaine or favorite lettuce greens
Easy Prep Work
Taco night is meant to be quick and easy and this recipe is no exception! Just a couple of vegetables to prep, and 30 minutes later you have vegetarian tacos.
Or vegan if you use a plant based cheese alternative!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
First peel and dice up sweet potatoes. Add to greased baking sheet, drizzle on oil, add this taco seasoning recipe, toss to mix and bake for about 20 minutes at 400ºF.
Sauté Onions + Add Black Beans
Meanwhile in a skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and minced garlic until nice and fragrant. Then add black beans and some taco seasoning, stirring until combined and warmed through.
Combine in Skillet and Serve
For any leftover sweet potatoes and black beans, store in a covered container in the fridge, and use within 3-4 days.
More Ways to Enjoy
This vegetarian filling is great in tacos but also delicious for salads or a vegan burrito bowl.
Try these Tacos, too!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
These Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos are a great vegetarian, vegan friendly dinner. Works well when meal prepping, and the sweet potato black bean filling can be used in everything from tacos to salads to burrito bowls.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tsp taco seasoning, divided
- dash of salt
items for tacos
- favorite taco shells
- sliced avocado
- pico de gallo
- cheese (vegan friendly if needed)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line medium baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease with oil.
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Add diced sweet potatoes to greased baking sheet, drizzle on oil, add 1 tsp taco seasoning, a dash of salt, toss to mix and bake for about 20 minutes at 400ºF, or until potatoes of soft.
- Prepare onions and black beans: In medium skillet over medium heat, add oil, onions and garlic; stir frequently until onions are translucent and garlic fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in rinsed black beans, sprinkle on some taco seasoning (I used about 1/2 teaspoon) and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover while the sweet potatoes finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, gather the rest of your taco ingredients to serve with, such as taco shells, sliced avocado, salsa or pico de gallo, cheese and lettuce.
- Once everything is done, assemble tacos and enjoy!
Keywords: sweet potato tacos, black bean tacos, healthy tacos