This Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie made for two is the best dessert to enjoy at home with your favorite person. Both vegan and paleo made with flaxseed and almond flour for a grain-free/gluten-free treat. Don’t forget your favorite ice cream!
Oh little skillet cookie… How do I love thee? Let me count the ways…
Skillet cookies make for the best the little desserts – perfect for sharing with your person. And being that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, desserts you can enjoy straight from the dish with a scoop of ice cream are a must.
Every time I make a skillet cookie it reminds me of the ones on various restaurant menus – except way better because you’re eating it on your comfy couch, curled up with your SO
fighting over lovingly sharing bites…
And because we’re using “healthier” ingredients here (compared to what you’d find at your average restaurant) I never feel like I over-do it when enjoying this kind of cookie skillet dessert at home. Whereas at a restaurant I find it hard to let those last several bites go to waste, so into my already full belly they go. I just hate being a food waster (especially when eating out) and you know darn well even if you take it home it’s either not going to get eaten or it doesn’t taste nearly as good as it did at the restaurant.
Oh oh, did I mention this chocolate chunk skillet cookie happens to be vegan and paleo? YESSIR.
Vegan Paleo Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie
I have SEVERAL skillet cookies here on the blog but I had yet to try one vegan-friendly while also grain-free/gluten-free. And I know when I post these skillet cookies on my Instagram I have loads of peeps asking about a vegan/egg-free version. So I basically just took this apple skillet cookie and made a couple of minor adjustments for this GF/vegan chocolate chunk skillet cookie
what you need
- almond flour
- baking soda
- milled flaxseed + water
- coconut sugar
- nut/seed butter of choice
- sea salt
- chocolate chunks
- chocolate chips
(because two sizes of chocolate is just a good idea)
What I love about making skillet cookies is that they’re fairly quick. It just takes minutes to make the dough in one little bowl before pressing it into the skillet. I like to add more chocolate chunks to the top of the dough and sprinkle on the sea salt prior to baking. The sea salt + chocolate combo is truly underrated.
bake for about 15 minutes
– let cool –
and top with your favorite ice cream!
- If not vegan you can use one large egg yolk in place of the flaxseed meal.
- Feel free to use a dry granulated sugar of choice if not following a strict paleo diet
- Any creamy nut/seed butter will work here – I prefer cashew butter or almond butter but I also made this with tahini and it provides some nice flavor
- I did not test this with other flours but another nut meal/flour (i.e. cashew) should be fine. If not paleo or vegan, try this chocolate chip skillet cookie 🙂
- For dairy-free ice cream NadaMoo makes a great coconut milk based ice cream. I also love SoDelicious cashew milk based ice cream.
I hope you guys enjoy this one!
This Salted Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie made for two is the best dessert to enjoy at home with your favorite person. Both vegan and paleo made with flaxseed and almond flour for a grain-free/gluten-free treat.
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal* + 1 1/2 TBS water
- 3 TBS natural nut or seed butter (cashew, almond, sunbutter, tahini)
- 2 TBS oil (avocado, melted/cooled coconut, macadamia)
- 3 TBS coconut sugar** (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour*** (70g measured)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 TBS non-dairy creamer or non-dairy milk
- 2 TBS dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- 2oz chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and grease a mini 6″ cast iron skillet with oil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl add nut/seed butter, oil and sugar; whisk vigorously. Add in flaxseed “egg” and vanilla extract whisking again until evenly combined.
- Add almond flour, baking soda and salt; use large spoon to stir together until almost combined, then add 1/2 TBS milk for dough to fully come together. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer cookie dough into grease skillet. Top with chopped chocolate chunks, pressing slightly into dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are slightly browned and have risen.
- Allow skillet cookie to cool 10 minutes before topping with favorite ice cream – enjoy with your person!
*Can use egg yolk if not vegan
**Any dry granulated sweetener will work
***I used almond flour but almond meal could also work. As should another nut meal such as cashew. I did not test using a wheat or whole grain gluten-free flour.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Paleo Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie, Healthy chocolate chip cookie
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.
P.S. If you’ve bought a bag of almond flour and wondering what else to make with it, try these recipes!