This Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie for one is going to be on repeat. Best served with a scoop of ice cream!
My husband (Drew) is the biggest cookie fiend I know. When there are fresh baked cookies out, I try not to count how many he has consumed at once. I’m sure if I weren’t “watching” he would easily eat an entire tray. Apparently he has eaten an entire box of Oreos in one sitting when he was in high school. It doesn’t surprise me…
Last year I made him this peanut butter pie, except he didn’t know it was vegan, until maybe now… Hi! 😀
This year I thought I’d be nice and make him something that would be sure to go over well.
A CHOCOLATE CHIP SKILLET COOKIE
You know by now that with my baked goods I like to “healthify” them. I like using different flours, swapping sweeteners, using coconut oil instead of butter, etc.
But when Drew wants a cookie, he just wants a straight up, plain ole chocolate chip cookie. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made chocolate chip cookies and he suspects I have added flaxseed, didn’t use butter, or even added something as simple as cinnamon. More often than not I suppose I have done one of those things… The guy is not easy to trick when it comes to cookies!
So for this skillet cookie recipe, I kept it simple and fairly traditional… for the most part 😀
Here’s what you need
whole wheat white flour
see recipe page for flour & sugar options
The batter comes together super easy and all that’s left to do is bake in your baby skillet!
And then we top with ice cream, of course.
Drew’s favorite ice cream is cookie dough (who would have thought) so yes, we are celebrating with a chocolate chip cookie AND chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
- 3 TBS butter*, melted
- 3 TBS coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS whole wheat white flour*
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 TBS semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 TBS 60% dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a mini 6″ cast iron skillet well with butter or oil, set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together melted butter and sugars until well combined. Add in egg and vanilla and stir until evenly mixed.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt and mix well. Batter will not be like traditional cookie dough, it will feel more like cake batter. Add in chocolate chips, then pour batter into grease skillet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until edges are slightly browned.
- Serve with favorite ice cream and share with your loved one! (Or keep it to yourself, no judgement.)
*you may use coconut oil in place of butter to make dairy-free, or avocado oil as well. Because the cookie dough is contained in the skillet, no need to worry about spreading.
*whole wheat white flour does give the cookie a slightly bread-like texture compared to traditional all-purpose flour. You may be sub with 3 TBS whole wheat + 3 TBS unbleached all-purpose. Or you could also do 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose. The texture of the cookie will change slightly depending on which flour you decide on.
recipe adapted from here
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: skillet cookie, giant cookie, chocolate chip skillet cookie
Also, I can’t sit here and talk to you about this skillet cookie and Drew’s birthday without at least mentioning how much I love the guy. That should be a given, considering we’re married. But I just am so thankful for him and his support lately. He is an amazing husband <3
- Do you make your SO a birthday treat?
- What is your favorite dessert?
NOTE: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Purchasing products listed through the links comes at no extra charge to you, but I will receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Fit Mitten Kitchen!
making something from FMK? Tag me so I can have a looksee …
I LOVE seeing what you’ve made.
Facebook: Fit Mitten Kitchen
Pinterest: [Ashley] Fit Mitten Kitchen