This Paleo Almond Lemon Blueberry Bread needs to happen STAT. A simple recipe mixed by hand and ready within the hour. Bursting with blueberries and lemon flavors, this grain-free bread is a must.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions expressed are my own. Thank you for supporting Fit Mitten Kitchen!
Happppy Friday, peeps! Gearing up for a weekend spent with friends up north. Yes, us Michiganders still venture north even in the winter time. We’re renting a house on a lake – all the husbands will ice fish while the girls A) stay in the warmth drinking hot chocolate, play games and B) travel into Traverse City to walk around and find other things to do that don’t have to do with sitting outside on ice. 😀 I’ve heard the ice shanties get pretty warm but I’d just rather not. I’m a summer girl through and through. Thankfully the temperatures are supposed to get above freezing, so when we do venture out into town we won’t be in the frigid cold.
It’s only the middle of January but man can winters in the Midwest feel especially long… Drew and I are officially planning a trip to Hawaii and I am super excited. It won’t happen until March but I am sure it will be here before we know it. Drew and I never took a real honeymoon and it’s been almost three years since we’ve been married. I suppose at this point it’s just a vacation. But still! It’s a vacation we’ve been talking about for over a year and finally making it happen is a dream come true.
But now it’s time to chat all things blueberry bread because that’s what we do around here – chat about good food 😀
Paleo Almond Lemon Blueberry Bread
This recipe first started out as banana bread but then I started craving lemon-flavored goods so I altered the recipe a bit. So to all you banana haters, you’re welcome. Banana lovers, you will have to wait for another time.
I digress… So once I changed the recipe it took me another two tries to get the texture I was anticipating. But I am happy with the results so here we are!
Plus, who doesn’t love the lemon blueberry combo?! It’s one of the best matches there is. And it kind of reminds me of summertime which I am all about.
What you need
The main ingredient we’ll be using in this Paleo Almond Lemon Blueberry Bread is the blanched almond flour from Bob’s Red Mill. Note that we’re using the blanched almond flour, NOT “natural almond flour” also known as almond meal.
I’m super excited to be partnering with Bob’s Red Mill this year – their quality ingredients are pantry staples in the FMK household, and I am sure many of yours too!
This recipe is really quite simple and comes together in a few simple steps. You’re mainly mixing the dry ingredients together separately from the wet, then combining them before folding in the blueberries.
Some notes about the recipe
Flours – As noted above, the other dry ingredient needed is tapioca flour. If you’re not familiar with grain-free baking or baking with almond flour, the tapioca flour helps bind the ingredients together a bit better than leaving it out of the recipe. I did not test this recipe with wheat flours or other gluten-free flours, so I wouldn’t recommend subs here.
If you don’t bake with tapioca flour often, try shopping the bulk bins at your grocery stores.
Oil – I tested this recipe with both ghee and macadamia nut oil, but any oil should be fine.
Sweetener – I used honey here but you can *likely* sub another liquid sweetener with similar results, though I did not test that myself. I would not recommend a dry sweetener here as it will throw off the liquid ratio a bit.
Baking – To prevent the top from browning too much, add piece of foil over top of loaf pan halfway through baking time.
And that is pretty much it my friends! After about 40 minutes of baking you have yourself one luscious loaf of lemon blueberry bread to dive right into.
Moist, soft and almost cake-like in texture. I seriously couldn’t stop eating it and I think I’ll be making another loaf here ASAP.
This very well may be one of my best grain-free paleo breads yet!
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (180g weighed)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup ghee or oil, melted (avocado, coconut, macadamia nut oil)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 medium lemon)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract (optional but boosts flavor)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 TBS sliced almonds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 8×4 medium loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl add almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt and zest from 1 lemon; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, honey, lemon juice, and extracts.
- Pour dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients, using spatula to stir. Then fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan – I like to make sure not all of the blueberries are sitting on the bottom of the pan so give the batter a gentle stir in the pan. Top the batter with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake lemon blueberry bread for 20 minutes uncovered, then add foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent the top from browning too quickly. My bread took 43 minutes but check the middle for done-ness with toothpick after 35 just to be sure.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for 15 minutes before lifting from the parchment paper to remove bread. Slice into 10 slices and ENJOY!
I do not recommend substitutions here as grain-free baking can be tricky. See notes in blog post.
Store bread in covered container at room temperature up to 2 days, or in fridge 4-5 days. This bread is very moist so just keep an eye on it!
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8g
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.