This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclosure policy for clarification.
These 5-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups made using dairy-free chocolate, pure coconut butter, a touch of pure maple syrup, and matcha green tea. Healthy, vegan-friendly using your favorite chocolate, and seriously delicious!
This post was originally published March 2016 but updated with more information and a recipe video, March 2020. Same delicious recipe!
Wow, friends. Just… WOW.
These Matcha Coconut Butter Cups are what I call an FMK original – meaning they were first posted within my very first year of blogging, back in 2016.
This is also when I was discovering a new love for matcha and getting excited about all of the ways to use it.
Since then I’ve created numerous matcha recipes (see here), but these Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups are still without a doubt, a personal and reader favorite.
Who knew chocolate and matcha were a match made in heaven!?
Simple Coconut Butter Cups
I still kind of can’t believe how good these are. Not to mention SUPER easy to make. We’re talking simple ingredients, a few steps and less than 20 minutes before they’re ready.
Just 5 ingredients is all you need!
- dairy-free dark chocolate chips or a chocolate bar to melt – pick your favorite. Enjoy life brand is great for a dairy-free option, Lily’s Sweets is another that is also paleo friendly. And I love Theo brand chocolate too.
- coconut oil – this helps smooth out the melted chocolate and will make it better for dispersing into cups.
- coconut butter – the coconut butter is naturally sweet and pairs perfectly with the matcha green tea.
- maple syrup – just a hint to help balance the matcha green tea flavor. I recommend adding a little bit at a time, and taste testing to your liking.
- matcha green tea – using a quality matcha green tea can make all the difference. If you drink a lot of matcha tea, you can use the ceremonial grade. If you plan to cook or bake with it, culinary grade works.
Ready in 20 minutes.
Like I already mentioned before – making these matcha coconut butter cups could not be easier! Whether you’re in need of a sweet treat or you’re whipping up a batch for friends – these perfect little green tea dessert cups are ready in just about 20 minutes from start to finish.
Step 1 – Melt Chocolate
Melt together your chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave or using a double boiler. Stir regularly until chips have completely melted.
Just be careful not to burn your chocolate chips whichever method you prefer!
Step 2 – Make the Filling
It’s time to make the yummy matcha-coconut butter filling!
In a small bowl, microwave coconut butter until slightly melted. Stir in your matcha powder and maple syrup, until matcha is evenly mixed.
Step 3 – Assemble
Now it’s time to make the cups:
- First add a layer of chocolate to all of the cups.
- Add the matcha coconut butter filling
- Top it off with more chocolate.
Place the pan of perfect chocolate matcha cups into the freezer and try to wait patiently for 15 minutes until they set and are ready to eat.
Storing Matcha Coconut Butter Cups
These matcha coconut butter cups will keep at room temperature, as long as it’s not too hot. But safest bet is to store them in a container in the fridge.
They’ll be okay sitting out at room temperature prior to eating them, but again just make sure it’s not super hot where you’re keeping them.
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment and review below! It helps others find the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
5-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups
These 5-Ingredient Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups made using dairy-free chocolate, pure coconut butter, a touch of pure maple syrup, and matcha green tea. Vegan-friendly, decadent and seriously delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: desserts
- Method: microwave
- Cuisine: american
for the chocolate
- 10oz bag dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
for the filling
- 1/4 cup pure coconut butter*
- 1 TBS pure maple syrup**
- 1/2 heaping TBS matcha green tea
- Line mini muffin pan with 12 paper liners; set aside.
- Melt chocolate: Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil on half power in microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chips have completely melted. (Or use stovetop.)
- Make your filling: In a small bowl, microwave coconut butter until slightly melted, about 15-20 seconds. Stir in your matcha powder and maple syrup, until matcha is evenly mixed.
- Make the cups: Scoop about ½ tablespoon of melted chocolate into 12 muffin liners. Next, using ½ round teaspoon, scoop a rounded ball of matcha coconut butter (equal to about 1 tsp) and place on the chocolate layer. Finally, cover in more melted chocolate, about another ½ tablespoon.
- Place pan in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes, or until set chocolate cups have set.
- Store cups in fridge until ready to enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 mini cup
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 2mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Dark Chocolate Matcha Coconut Butter Cups, healthy chocolate butter cups
Rate this Recipe