A simple Shredded Brussels Sprouts Kale Quinoa Salad tossed with feta, sunflower seeds and an easy lemon dijon vinaigrette. Great for meal prep or when you need a dish to pass! Gluten-free, vegan-friendly.
So we’ve officially finished Game of Thrones and no longer know what to do with our lives past 7:30pm. I gave myself a good 24 hours to let the end settle in. I even tried to start a new series… Well, actually I only attempted “Gunpowder” which stars the actor who plays Jon Snow. (I know, I know.) So clearly I was having withdrawals even after 24 hours. We attempted to watch that series for about 20 minutes before Mr. FMK fell asleep and I maybe just sneakily turned on season 1, episode 1 Game of Thrones…
But listen, now that I re-watched episode 1, everything makes sense! Remember this post where I said we were well into the series and we still had no idea what was going on? Well now I have a very good idea of what is going on and I can actually wrap my head around everything… All of the characters connections are coming full circle and I like that I can put all the pieces together.
Anyways, really not sure why I felt the need to justify re-watching Game of Thrones immediately but some of you get me, right??
To all of you who have no idea what I am talking about, my apologies. We can move on…
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Kale Quinoa Salad
This kale quinoa salad is actually inspired by a restaurant I recently went to with my sisters and friends after a bridesmaids dress shopping trip. One of the best things is getting inspired by restaurant menus and finding a way to bring them back to your own kitchen.
When I came across the salad on the menu, I said, “Hey this sounds like something I’d make for the blog!” I mean brussels sprouts (my fave) plus kale, quinoa and feta? This had FMK written ALL over it. So basically I decided right then and there that I actually would be making something similar to share with you all.
And guys… it’s delicious. And SO easy. Plus it’s a great meal prep salad too. You can throw your favorite source of protein on it, or even load it up with chickpeas or lentils for some extra plant protein.
what you need
- shredded brussels sprouts
- feta (optional)
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- dijon mustard
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
Tips for Making Kale Quinoa Salad
Brussels sprouts – I used my food processor with the slicing blade to shred the brussels sprouts, but if your grocer carries pre-shredded brussels sprouts go for it. (One less step you have to do.)
Kale – I bought one bunch of kale and chopped it myself. Again, you could go the pre-chopped bagged route if you’d like but just make sure all the rough stems are removed.
Quinoa – I used tri-color because it was what I had on hand but any variation will work. Cook according to package instructions and you’re good to go. You can start the quinoa while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
Lemon dijon vinaigrette – SUPER simple recipe here and you can whisk it right in a bowl. It’s just lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, honey, plus salt and pepper to taste.
The “hardest” part about this kale quinoa salad recipe is the prep (but it really doesn’t take that long at all) and then really it’s just about tossing everything together in a bowl.
I of course added feta because feta is life… But if you’re a feta hater you can sub parmesan or if you dairy-free you can also leave out.
Toss in sunflower seeds for the little crunch factor!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx Ashley
for the salad:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped kale, about 1 bunch
- 1lb brussels sprouts, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 5oz feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
lemon dijon vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 small lemons)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 TBS honey
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Remove from heat and fluff with fork once finished cooking.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the kale by chopping into small leaves and and shredding the brussels sprouts using slicing attachment of your food processor.
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over leaves. Massage oil into kale using fingertips – this helps the flavor of the kale, just trust me.
- Add brussels sprouts into large bowl with kale; set aside.
- Make the dressing: in a medium bowl whisk together all of the ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing over brussels and kale. Add cooled quinoa, crumbled feta and sunflower seeds; toss gently with tongs until well mixed.
- Chill in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy on its own or with your favorite protein. Store leftovers in covered container in fridge up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1/6th with dressing
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 408mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.