MEXICAN CORN DIP. Never did I think I’d love a dip so much…
For Drew’s 30th birthday in June we had a little fiesta with some friends, and Mexican corn dip was on the menu – I couldn’t stop eating it. My mother-in-law had found the recipe on Pinterest and I knew I needed to find a way to recreate the recipe for you all.
This corn dip is basically a take on Mexican street corn, or “Elote” – for the authentic friends out there.
What is Mexican street corn?
Essentially it’s grilled corn on the cob, slathered in a little crema or mayonnaise and dusted with cojita – a hard cheese (from cow’s milk) that originated in the town of Cojita, Mexico. Oh, and a little spice like chili powder or cayenne.
It’s kind of amazing… If you see it on a menu at an authentic Mexican restaurant, you should get it. No ifs, ands, or buts – just do it.
So now that you’re familiar with the Mexican street corn and I have you super pumped about it, are you ready for DA DIP?
The dip version of this Mexican street corn means you can scoop up the goodness with chips but you can totally eat it by the spoonful as well.
Mexican Corn Dip
What you need for the Mexican Corn Dip
- Corn (duh)
- mayo (or yogurt! see notes)
- cotija cheese (special Mexican cheese, but you can sub feta!)
- red bell pepper
- chili powder
- lime juice
- green onion
How you make it
- Choose how you want to prepare the corn – boiling it, grilling it, or using canned corn works too.
- Cook the garlic and corn together in a skillet with some butter.
- Add in red bell pepper, mayo, cheese, spices, lime and cilantro; stir until well mixed and you are DONE.
- Seriously, that’s it.
Serving the Mexican Corn Dip
- With chips for a party appetizer
- As a taco topper for Taco Tuesday
- Side dish (by the spoonful)
- On top of a salad
The possibilities are basically endless. It heats up well and also can be enjoyed cold.
However you decide to enjoy it, get your taste buds ready for some deliciousness…
And let me know if you try it! Leave a review on the blog so others can see what you think too 😀Print
The BEST Mexican Corn Dip – think Mexican street corn but eaten as a dip with chips, side dish or taco topper! A lightened up version of the classic dish, filled with flavor and delicious cotija cheese. Gluten-free recipe with vegan-friendly substitutions.
- 4 cups corn kernels; fresh, canned or frozen
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP mayo* (I love avocado oil mayo)
- 1/4 cup cojita cheese
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 TBSP fresh cilantro
- In medium-large skillet on medium heat, place butter, minced garlic and corn kernels in skillet; stir frequently while cooking for about 10 minutes until corn is slightly charred.
- Stir in mayo (or 2% greek yogurt), cojita cheese, chili powder, juice of lime and and chopped cilantro; Mix until combined.
- Top with more cheese and green onion before serving immediately.
- Mexican Corn Dip can also be kept in crockpot to keep warm for serving as appetizer at parties – great as cold leftovers too!
TO MAKE VEGAN: Sub butter with vegan butter and use a vegan mayo. You can omit the cheese, or replace with 1/2 TBSP nutritional yeast.
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
Keywords: Mexican sides, corn dip, recipes for taco night