Vegan queso recipe! Using raw cashews, nutritional yeast (makes it “cheesy”) garlic and spices. You will love this easy creamy recipe – trust me!
Why You’ll Love This
If you’re ready for a dairy free and vegan Mexican-inspired queso recipe that everyone will love, then you must make this dip!
- It takes minutes to throw together
- Minimal ingredients – think a few pantry staples + spices.
- Dairy free, vegan and paleo friendly so most can enjoy this queso dip.
But first, let’s talk about nutritional yeast.
Nutritional Yeast = Cheesy Factor
What is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is made from a specially selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is often used in many vegetarian and vegan recipes to add a cheesy flavor.
It’s high in B12 vitamins and protein (8g per 1/4 cup!), making it a great supplement for a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Gluten Free
What does Nutritional Yeast Taste Like?
Nutritional yeast has a naturally cheesy, nutty and almost salty flavor – which is why it’s such a great cheese replacement in many dairy free and vegan recipes.
Vegan Queso Ingredients
- cashews – when soaked in hot water, cashews break down to a super delicious cream, which is the perfect replacement for dairy for a vegan queso recipe.
- garlic clove – a fresh garlic clove will give you the best flavor but minced garlic from a jar will work as well.
- nutritional yeast – the other star ingredient in this cashew queso. Nutritional yeast adds a salty cheesy flavor.
- coconut aminos and lime juice– enhances flavor.
- spices & salt – onion, cumin and chili powder.
- adobo sauce – optional but adds a nice smokey flavor.
5 Minute Recipe
This cashew queso literally takes minutes to make, thanks to a blender.
Throw everything in, blend until smooth, and you’ve got yourself a creamy cheese dip!
NOTE: While soaking the cashews in boiled water will make this dip recipe super creamy, if you’re in a hurry you can skip this step. Just note your queso likely won’t be as smooth.
- With chips & salsa for a snack. Stir in a couple tablespoons of salsa for diced tomatoes if you’d like!
- On tacos (highly recommend these vegan ones!).
- As a sauce for a burrito bowl.
- You could even spread it on some breakfast sandwiches.
If you’re serving for a crowd, double the batch because this will go fast!
This queso dip recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but you can also store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can enjoy cold or reheat in a small pan on the stovetop.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- 3/4 cup cashews
- ½ –¾ cup boiled water
- 2.5 TBSP nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp Adobo sauce (optional but adds a chipotle smoky flavor)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add cashews to 1/2 cup of boiled water and let sit for 5 minutes. While the cashews are soaking, gather the rest of your ingredients.
- In blender cup, add cashews in water, nutritional yeast, juice of 1 lime, garlic clove, coconut aminos, adobo sauce if using, salt, cumin chili powder and onion powder. Blend until smooth creamy consistency forms – a high powdered blender or NutriBullet works best.
- Check for spice level, cheesy factor and consistency – if you want a little thinner queso, add an additional 2-4 TBSP water and blend again.
- Serve with your favorite chips, these tacos, or even a burrito bowl.