Vegan queso recipe! Using raw cashews, nutritional yeast (makes it “cheesy”) garlic and spices. You will love this easy creamy recipe – trust me!
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help Fit Mitten Kitchen bring you new recipes!
Why You’ll Love This
If you’re ready for a dairy free and vegan Mexican-inspired queso recipe that everyone will love, then you must make this dip!
- It takes minutes to throw together
- Minimal ingredients – think a few pantry staples + spices.
- Dairy free, vegan and paleo friendly so most can enjoy this queso dip.
But first, let’s talk about nutritional yeast.
Nutritional Yeast = Cheesy Factor
What is Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is made from a specially selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is often used in many vegetarian and vegan recipes to add a cheesy flavor.
It’s high in B12 vitamins and protein (8g per 1/4 cup!), making it a great supplement for a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Gluten Free
What does Nutritional Yeast Taste Like?
Nutritional yeast has a naturally cheesy, nutty and almost salty flavor – which is why it’s such a great cheese replacement in many dairy free and vegan recipes.
Vegan Queso Ingredients
- cashews – when soaked in hot water, cashews break down to a super delicious cream, which is the perfect replacement for dairy for a vegan queso recipe.
- garlic clove – a fresh garlic clove will give you the best flavor but minced garlic from a jar will work as well.
- nutritional yeast – the other star ingredient in this cashew queso. Nutritional yeast adds a salty cheesy flavor.
- coconut aminos and lime juice– enhances flavor.
- spices & salt – onion, cumin and chili powder.
- adobo sauce – optional but adds a nice smokey flavor.
5 Minute Recipe
This cashew queso literally takes minutes to make, thanks to a blender.
Throw everything in, blend until smooth, and you’ve got yourself a creamy cheese dip!
NOTE: While soaking the cashews in boiled water will make this dip recipe super creamy, if you’re in a hurry you can skip this step. Just note your queso likely won’t be as smooth.
- With chips & salsa for a snack. Stir in a couple tablespoons of salsa for diced tomatoes if you’d like!
- On tacos (highly recommend these vegan ones!).
- As a sauce for a burrito bowl.
- You could even spread it on some breakfast sandwiches.
If you’re serving for a crowd, double the batch because this will go fast!
This queso dip recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but you can also store in the fridge up to 5 days.
You can enjoy cold or reheat in a small pan on the stovetop.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Cashew Queso Dip
Even non-vegans love this Cashew Queso Dip! Using cashews, nutritional yeast (makes it “cheesy”) garlic and spices. This recipe takes just minutes to throw together – blend everything until smooth then serve with your favorite chips, tacos and more.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: about 1 cup 1x
- Category: snacks
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
- Diet: Vegan
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 –3/4 cup boiled water
- 2.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon Adobo sauce (optional but adds a chipotle smoky flavor)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Add cashews to 1/2 cup of boiled water and let sit for 5 minutes. While the cashews are soaking, gather the rest of your ingredients.
- In blender cup, add cashews in water, nutritional yeast, juice of 1 lime, garlic clove, coconut aminos, adobo sauce if using, salt, cumin chili powder and onion powder. Blend until smooth creamy consistency forms – a high powdered blender or NutriBullet works best.
- Check for spice level, cheesy factor and consistency – if you want a little thinner queso, add an additional 2-4 TBSP water and blend again.
- Serve with your favorite chips, these tacos, or even a burrito bowl.
Keywords: cashew queso, vegan queso, queso dip recipe