This Lemon Baked Oatmeal comes together in 5 minutes and bakes in around 30 minutes. A delicious healthy breakfast great for weekend baking and perfect for meal prep too. If you love lemon poppy seed, you will love this healthy baked oatmeal recipe.
Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite things to bake on the weekend, or during the evening on a simple dinner night. It comes together so quick and it’s great for easy breakfast meal prep.
Why You Must Make This
- Ready in less than one hour
- Easy to make and uses mainly pantry staples
- You can turn it into Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal by adding blueberries! A delicious combination
- Perfect for meal prep – enjoy cold as bars or warm up and serve with your favorite toppings
- It can be made gluten-free and dairy-free using certified gluten free oats and your choice of non-dairy milk
What You Need for Baked Oatmeal
For this healthy baked oatmeal recipe you don’t need much, which is why I love making it so much. It uses a mix of pantry and fridge staples, and then the zest and juice of lemons.
Here is a list of what you need for this recipe:
- old fashioned rolled oats – make sure to use old-fashioned rolled oats, not quick cooking oats or steel cut.
- baking powder – to help the batter rise
- fine sea salt – to balance some sweetness and enhance flavor
- lemon zest – you definitely need lemon zest for optimal flavor when making lemon baked goods
- poppy seeds – for the lemon poppy seed flavor, of course
- maple syrup – to add sweetness. You can also use honey (or likely another liquid sweetener in its place)
- lemon juice – for the best lemon flavor, use freshly squeezed lemon juice
- vanilla extract – just a touch so we don’t overpower the lemon flavor
- milk – you can use most non-dairy milks, such as almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, etc. I do not recommend protein milk like pea milk. Dairy milk is also fine.
- oil – use a neutral oil such as avocado or light olive oil. You could probably sub with yogurt if you’d like.
- eggs – using whole eggs provide structure and help hold the oatmeal together. If you’d like to try flaxseed “eggs”, you can sub two flaxseed eggs.
For the full recipe and instructions, keep scrolling to the recipe card.
How to Make Baked Oatmeal
This oatmeal breakfast bake is an easy recipe and it comes together so quick! We probably make several variations of baked oatmeal a few times a month, and it never lasts long!
Here’s a quick overview of how this recipe comes together…
Whisk Wet Ingredients
In large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract and milk.
Add Dry Ingredients
Add in rolled oats, lemon zest, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Fold in any fruit mix-ins if using.
Transfer batter to prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or, until edges are golden and middle is set. You can serve immediately bowl style, or wait about 20 minutes to serve as squares.
You can serve this lemon baked oatmeal with your favorite toppings, a little extra maple syrup or honey and enjoy!
If you’d like to enjoy this baked oatmeal as squares, just let it cool for about 20 minutes before cutting.
Add A Glaze
The glaze adds a hint of sweetness to the top which is kind of irresistible. You can add melted coconut butter (just warm coconut butter in the microwave) and it adds a natural sugar-free sweetness.
Or add a simple confectioners sugar glaze with lemon juice.
Meal Prep Tips
Make this recipe on a weekend morning to prepare for busy mornings. The recipe serves about 9 large servings. So if you’re feeding a crowd, be sure to double the recipe. Or double the batch to freeze one for later.
Make individual portions by allowing the oatmeal to cool completely before cutting. Then make a little breakfast bento box with a baked oatmeal square, some fresh fruit and maybe some yogurt.
Make Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal by adding in 1 heaping cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. If using frozen, don’t thaw. Baking time may need to increase by a few minutes.
Add raspberries for a delicious sweet, tart combination. One six ounce container works.
If you have strawberries about to go bad, slice them up and add to the oatmeal batter before baking.
More Baked Oatmeal Recipes
Let me know if you make this Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oatmeal by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oatmeal
Make this Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oatmeal for a healthy breakfast and meal prep for the week! Make it blueberry flavored, or pick your other favorite berry. This is a fan favorite for a quick and easy breakfast!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or melted cooled coconut oil, or light olive oil)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1.25 cups milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2.25 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest of 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and grease 9×9 baking dish (or similar size).
- Whisk Wet Ingredients: In large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla extract and milk.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Add in rolled oats, lemon zest, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Fold in any fruit mix-ins if using.
- Bake: Transfer batter to prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or, until edges are golden and middle is set. You can serve immediately bowl style, or wait about 20 minutes to serve as squares.
- Serve this lemon baked oatmeal with your favorite toppings, a little extra maple syrup or honey and enjoy!
Adding berries: Feel free to add up to 1 cup of berries such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. Using fresh berries the bake time will remain the same. If using frozen berries, do not thaw them, but your baking time may increase by a few minutes.
To make vegan: Use 2 flax seed eggs and increase baking powder to 1.5 teaspoons, for the best lift.
Keywords: lemon blueberry baked oatmeal, oatmeal breakfast bake, healthy baked oatmeal