Have rolled oats or quick oats lying around? Then you can make oat flour at home! You just need oats and a blender or food processor.
What is Oat Flour?
Oat flour is simply ground down oats, into flour form. It’s light, soft, nutty and perfect for many of your baking needs!
Is Oat Flour Healthy?
Oats are a very nutrient dense food. A great complex carbohydrate with a good source of iron, magnesium, vitamin B, fiber, and many other nutrients our bodies need.
Oat flour is an awesome ingredient to keep on hand for all of your healthy baking needs.
If you’re looking for some healthy baking pantry staples, be sure to check out this post!
Is Oat Flour Gluten Free?
As long as you’re using certified gluten free oats then YES, oat flour is gluten free. Be sure to check the labels when buying your oats. I always use Bob’s Red Mill Certified Gluten Free Oats.
What You Need
- Oats – rolled oats or quick oats can be used to make oat flour. Steel cut oats are not recommended here.
- High Powered Blender – If you’re making a small batch of oat flour, you can use something like a NutriBullet.
- Storage Containers – I love these glass ones.
How to Make
Making oat flour is as easy as it gets. Just add the desired amount of oats in your blender or food processor, pulse and blend until a fine flour forms.
Be careful not to over-blend, you just want a fine flour consistency.
Oat Flour Recipes
You can make a variety of recipes using homemade oat flour. Whether it’s muffins, quick bread, cookies or no bake dessert bars, there are plenty of ways to use it!
Here are some of my favorite recipes using oat flour:
How to Store
Allow oat flour to rest in blender for 5 minutes (it gets a little warm) before adding to a storage container.
Label the container if you’d like, store with a tight lid at room temperature and use within 1 month.
Let me know if this was helpful by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- Add oats to a blender and process until oats have broken down into flour.
- Allow oat flour to cool for 5 minutes and add to storage container with lid.
- Oat flour can be stored at room temperature, up to 1 month.
You can make a large batch of oat flour if you plan on using it often and want to keep on hand. Or you can make it as needed – I like my NutriBullet for this.