Use up those fresh summer berries in this Honey Lime Berry Quinoa Salad with fresh mint. Gluten-free, vegan-friendly and a healthy addition to your meals this season.
Doesn’t August just feel like a constant reminder that summer is coming to an end? I try not to think about it too much. I make an effort to “live in the moment” and practice gratitude. But it’s all those years of preparing for school to start back up. “Back To School” ads are in full force. Reminding us that fall is coming… Summer is almost over.
BUT NOT YET. No fall yet. Summer is still here. It is still August and still berry season!
Anyone else stocking up on all of the berry sales at your grocery stores? Berries are 100% my favorite. I’m trying to think of another fruit that I love as much as berries but none are coming to mind.
There are also a TON of ways to enjoy them… So let’s chat some different ways!
5 Ways to get the most out of your summer berries
1. Add berries on your salads
One of my favorite ways to use up fresh berries is to throw them in a salad. They provide some additional texture and a hint of natural sweetness. I typically throw on some feta or goat cheese too.
2. Use berries in smoothies
Can’t go wrong with adding strawberries into a smoothie! One of the quickest and easiest ways to get in your dose of berries in the morning.
3. Bake with berries
Couldn’t leave out baking with summer berries! So many ways to bake with berries – fresh or frozen!
Whole Wheat Raspberry Pumpkin Muffins <– oops I went there already…
4. Freeze fresh berries
This kind of goes without saying but stocking up on fresh seasonal berries right now and freezing them is the way to go! Not only can you use the frozen berries in smoothies, but you can also bake with them, make jams, ice cream, etc.
5. Enjoy them with breakfast
Berries are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, so you really can’t go wrong any way you choose to enjoy them.
AND NOW to share a NEW salad recipe with you all for just another awesome way to use fresh berries this summer.
Honey Lime Berry Quinoa Salad with fresh mint
Yes. This quinoa-fruit combination is happening and it is so light and refreshing. Blueberries and raspberries are perfect right now – much thanks to California Giant berry farms!
This dish is really simple too. Just takes prepping the quinoa, the easy honey lime dressing, and tossing it all together with the fresh berries and mint. It would be a great dish to bring to a cookout or gathering to celebrate the last days of summer.
I’ve even been enjoying this with breakfast 🙂
Be sure to let me know if you try it!
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa (I used a mix of red and white)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBS raw honey*
- juice of 2 limes, plus zest
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped mint
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (or seeds if nut allergy)
1. Cook quinoa: in a medium pot over high heat, add 3/4 cup quinoa with 1/2 cups of water. Allow water to come to boil, then reduce heat and simmer quinoa for 10-15 minutes, or until water has disappeared. Remove pot from heat and allow quinoa to cool before transferring to large bowl. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together extra virgin olive oil, honey and juice of 2 limes – leave zest for garnish or add in now. Set aside.
3. Add fresh berries and mint to large bowl of cooled quinoa.
4. Pour dressing into large bowl and gently toss until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Be careful with the raspberries.
5. Garnish with sliced almonds and more chopped mint if desired. Serve on top of a bed of greens, with your favorite grilled protein, bring to a cookout or enjoy as a side dish!
*I like raw honey, as it has additional health benefits. But Grade A honey works as well. Sub agave or maple syrup if strictly vegan.
Feel free to add in strawberries too!
Use sunflower seeds if dealing with nut allergies.
Do you have a favorite way to use fresh summer berries?