These healthy Mini Banana Muffins are made vegan and gluten-free friendly using oat flour and flaxseed! Easy, one bowl, and just 70 calories per mini muffin with only 4 grams of sugar.
All right let us start off today’s post with a bunch of random-ass thoughts I just feel like I must share with you guys… ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? Seriously they’re really really random, so prepare yourselves, okay?
ONE > I almost left the house with a bunch of chocolate all over my lips the other day. Yes, it actually happened. It’s a really good thing there’s a mirror nearby the front door or else I would’ve had chocolate lipstick on. AND I was heading out for a coffee meeting with actual people, so that’s great. I mean, honestly the amount of times I have almost left the house with food on my face is kind of embarrassing. Just the other day Drew pointed out some crumbs on my face. Like, what? I am basically four years old.
TWO > Okay, this one has just really been weighing on me… I made the mistake of buying the crappy toilet paper at Target the other week. And I’m really bummed about it because it’s the super thin kind and I bought a super large pack. No puns intended, btw… But seriously why is trying to find a decent price + quality toilet paper such a struggle? #adulting I think they need to have little samples out like they do with carpet and flooring… Don’t you think?
THREE > The other day I pulled into our driveway and Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey came on. Instead of going inside I blasted the radio and just jammed in my parked car until the song ended. Anyone else love blasting the car radio? It’s one of my favorite pastimes. I kind of miss my work 30 minute commutes.
FOUR > My chin seems to be a trouble spot lately for blemishes. So I’ve been putting a little blend of turmeric and manuka honey on them and it seems to reduce the redness quite a bit and heals them faster! So I thought I’d share that… And in case you’re wondering, I have also almost left the house with that on my face as well. I’m such a scrub.
Hmmm I feel like that’s all I’ve got that I wanted to share. That was fun. Told you they were random…
So these cute little healthy mini vegan banana muffins then 😀
When I realized I didn’t have any true banana muffins on the blog after making these pumpkin muffins, I felt compelled to change that ASAP. After all, they’re pretty much my favorite muffin flavor.
I opted for a gluten-free friendly version using OAT FLOUR. Which in case you didn’t know, is actually just ground up rolled oats– I use my bullet* <–affiliate link and it takes less than 15 seconds! These muffins are also made vegan-friendly by using a flax egg.
what you need
- overripe bananas
- coconut sugar
- non-dairy milk
- oil (just a tiny bit!)
- milled flaxseed
- oat flour
- baking soda
These banana muffins are super easy and can be made in one bowl! WOOT WOOT.
You just mash up the bananas, stir in the coconut sugar, oil, milk, vanilla and flax egg. Then all that’s left is stirring in the oat flour, baking soda, and salt. SO easy.
–I didn’t test a whole egg with this recipe but again, for muffins like this you can typically sub one for the other with a flaxseed “egg”.
— Oat flour is just ground up/processed oats! For 2 cups of oat flour, process about 2 1/2 cups rolled or quick oats. You can make more than needed oat flour and store leftovers in a labeled separate container for later.
–You can make mini muffins or regular size muffins. For regular sized muffins, increase oven to 375F, bake 15-20 minutes. Watch baking time after 15 minutes. Muffins will be done when inserted toothpick comes out clean/no wet batter.
- 1 TBS milled flaxseed + 3 TBS water
- 1 cup well mashed bananas (about 3 small)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 TBS oil (ex: melted coconut oil, avocado oil)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour* (ground GF oats)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease muffin pan (mini or 12 cup), set aside.
- In small bowl combine milled flaxseed with 3 TBS water, set aside for 3-5 minutes until gel forms.
- In a large bowl combine mashed bananas, coconut sugar, milk, oil, vanilla extract. Add in flaxseed mixture and stir until well combined. Add 1 cup of the oat flour, sprinkle baking soda and salt over flour and stir gently, then add last cup of oat flour (to help evenly distribute flour and baking soda throughout wet ingredients) and gently stir until combined.
- Transfer about 1 tablespoon of muffin batter to greased muffin tin, about 3/4 full, you should be able to fill all 24 cups. (You can also fill 12 cup muffin pan 3/4 full).
- Bake mini muffins at 350F for 10-12 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out with little to no crumbs. (If baking in full 12 cup muffin pan, bake at 375F and check muffins after 15-20 minutes).
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Enjoy with your favorite nut butter!
-Muffins can be stored in airtight container at room temperature, about 5 days. Store muffins wrapped tightly and stored in freezer up to 3 months, thaw at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 82
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 102
- Fat: 1
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
NOTE: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. With any purchase made through the link, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your continued support!