A quick and easy mediterranean inspired chickpea salad recipe – Just 15 minutes to meal prep and perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner. Gluten free, and vegetarian.
This is my new go-to salad recipe for all of the things! I’m talking meal prep lunches, easy side for dinners, a quick salad for a cookout with friends.
You won’t believe how easy it is.
Bonus: there are a variety of ways to make it your own.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
This is one of those recipes that seems almost too good to be true!
How can a simple mix of fresh vegetables work so well together in one dish!?
And just eight ingredients!
What You Need for a Chickpea Salad
- chickpeas – I usually go for canned for quick and easy.
- cucumbers – fresh cucumbers, chopped.
- tomatoes – cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes are my go-to, but chopped roma tomatoes could work too.
- red onion – adds a good bite!
- parsley – curly or flat both work.
- lemon, olive oil and salt – a simple little dressing that adds the perfect flavor.
Ready in 15 Minutes
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is ready in just 15 minutes – if using pre-cooked or canned chickpeas. And it just so happens to be gluten free and vegan friendly.
To Make The Salad
- drain and rinse chickpeas
- slice the tomatoes (cherry or grape work well here)
- dice the red onion
- partially peel and chop the cucumber
- dice the parsley
All of the above gets combined in a large bowl and then you drizzle on olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
Chickpea Feta Salad
I like to top things off with feta cheese which adds an extra hint of saltiness – YUM.
Vegan Chickpea Salad
If you’re looking to keep this dairy free and vegan, serving with diced avocado is delicious too! Or you could also use a plant based feta cheese alternative too.
Chicken Chickpea Salad
If you’re not primarily plant based and looking for some additional protein, adding some shredded chicken could be another good option for you.
Perfect for a Variety of Occasions
This chickpea salad is great for a variety of occasions. Whether it’s a healthy meal prepped lunch, a side to go with dinner, or something to bring to a cookout. It’s super quick and easy.
If you’re looking to make it a full meal, add some quinoa and your choice of protein like grilled chicken, salmon, tuna or a plant-based protein option like tempeh.
How to Meal Prep
You’ll just prepare all of the veggies together as directed and evenly portion out servings into individual containers – about 4-6 containers, depending on how small or large you’d like your servings.
You can also add the lemon juice and olive oil dressing prior to putting into the individual containers, or serve with the day of.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
A quick and easy mediterranean inspired chickpea salad – Just 15 minutes to meal prep and perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner. This one is going to be on repeat for sure! Top with feta if vegetarian or creamy diced avocado for a vegan friendly option. Naturally gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 (14 ounce) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled in stripes and chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 TBSP freshly chopped parsley
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
optional: crumbled feta, or adding diced avocado to serve with.
- In a large bowl add chickpeas, cucumber, onion, tomato and parsley. Toss together then add lemon juice, olive oil and salt; stir to combine.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with feta cheese if you’d like. Adding diced avocado would be delicious too!
Store leftovers in covered container in fridge; best enjoy within 3-4 days.
Nutrition approximate; based on 1 of 6 servings as a side.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 268mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: chickpea salad recipe, vegetarian salad, mediterranean chickpea salad