Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Waffles – made dairy-free and vegan-friendly. Freezer friendly and great for meal prep.
I know it’s only the end of August but fall will be here before we know it. With this job as a food blogger I tend to think in seasons and am always planning ahead. It’s a little difficult for me to live in the moment when I am constantly thinking about recipes (and how they fit into each season) 3-4 months from now.
I’m doing my best to embrace the end of summer as much as I can. And while I am not quite ready for fall I definitely don’t mind adding some fall flavors to the blogosphere. I mean, Starbucks already brought back the PSL so I’m not THAT bad.
I don’t actually have any new pumpkin recipes planned too soon but I’d say apples from here on out are fair game, right?
Whole Grain Apple Cinnamon Waffles
So truth be told I didn’t grow up on waffles. We were a pancake family. I feel like you’re one of two kinds of people: pancake people or waffle people. Oh, maybe french toast too. Okay so there are three kinds: pancake people, waffle people, and french toast people. We were more so the pancake and french toast kind. We also had breakfast for dinner WAAYY more than we had breakfast foods in the am.
But I digress… Back to waffles. More specifically, these apple cinnamon waffles.
what you need
- whole wheat pastry flour or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- fresh apple
- eggs (or flaxseed meal)
- milk of choice (I like cashew)
Homemade pancake and waffle batter is just so easy. And while I totally get the convenience of box mixes, there really isn’t anything special needed to make a homemade mix. Essentially it’s flour, baking powder and salt for the dry ingredients. And usually eggs, oil and milk for the wet ingredients.
Not to mention no additives, fillers or artificial flavors needed when we’re talking homemade. AND we’re saving $$ because 1 cup of flour is like… .35 cents or something.
Okay okay, have I convinced you yet?
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and review on the blog!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I used cashew)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour (whole wheat pastry or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose baking flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed shredded apples, about 1 medium apple (or chopped)
warm cinnamon apple topping
- Preheat waffle iron and grease if needed.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, oil and applesauce. Add in vanilla and milk, gently whisking to combine.
- Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and apples; combine with spatula until no lumps are present. Depending on your flour blend you may need a touch more milk here OR a tiny bit more flour. Batter should be somewhat thick but not drippy.
- Use 1/4 cup to pour batter into waffle iron; cook on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until waffles are lightly golden. Every waffle iron is different so cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep in warm oven (about 160ºF) until ready to serve.
- To make the apple topping: in medium skillet over medium heat, sauté sliced apples with cinnamon and oil or ghee; stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add to warm waffles and serve immediately.
- Waffles freeze great and reheat lovely in toaster.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: waffle iron
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole grain waffles, apple cinnamon, dairy free waffles