Change up your normal waffle routing with these Healthy Matcha Waffles! Made dairy-free and gluten-free friendly, bursting with blueberries.
With blueberries because why not?! I freaking love blueberries in breakfast goodies.
If you’re not a matcha fan, but love waffles, check out more recipes here.
Matcha Waffle Ingredients
- whole wheat pastry flour or 1:1 gluten-free baking flour, or whole wheat white flour – if you want to use a blend of whole wheat with all-purpose, use half of each.
- high quality matcha – matcha is finely ground Japanese green tea leaves, different from just green tea.
- baking powder & baking soda – this helps get the correct rise for the waffles.
- granulated sugar – helps balance out the flavor of the matcha but you could omit.
- eggs & oil – for the perfect texture
- vanilla – for additional flavor
- non-dairy milk – use soy milk or oat milk to keep this recipe nut-free. Or use cashew, almond or coconut.
Gluten Free Flour
Because I do so much baking, my go-to for a gluten-free flour would be this 1:1 All-Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour.
If not gluten-free, you can use a blend of whole wheat with unbleached all-purpose.
Or use all whole wheat white flour or whole wheat pastry flour.
Use a 1/4 cup scoop for adding into your waffle maker.
I like to pour the waffle batter into the center of the waffle iron, leaving the edges bare.
Allow the waffle to cook fully for slightly crisp edges – everyone’s waffle maker is different so just keep an eye on time.
If you don’t have cooking spray, use a pastry brush to add oil to your waffle iron if you’d like.
Freeze for Meal Prep
My favorite method for reheating waffles is in the toaster or toaster oven, about medium heat, because you get crisp edges.
Depending on your toaster, you may need to cycle through a couple times.
Alternatively you can use microwave, or warm up in a skillet over low-medium heat with lid.
Even More Matcha Recipes
- Whole Grain Matcha Muffins
- Spiced Matcha Latte
- Flourless Paleo Brownies with Matcha Frosting
- Vanilla Mint Matcha Shake
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx AshleyPrint
Healthy Matcha Waffles
Change up your normal waffle routine with these Healthy Matcha Waffles! Made dairy-free and gluten-free friendly, bursting with blueberries. Great for meal prep and freezing for later.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 small waffles 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Preheat waffle iron and spray or grease with oil if needed.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg, oil and sugar. Add in vanilla and milk, gently whisking to combine.
- Add in flour, sprinkle in matcha, baking powder and salt; whisk until no lumps are present. Fold in blueberries or chocolate chips if using. Depending on your flour blend you may need a touch more milk here OR a tiny bit more flour. Batter should be pourable consistency.
- Use 1/4 cup to pour batter into waffle iron; cook on low-medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until waffles are lightly golden. Every waffle iron is different so cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Keep in warm oven (about 160ºF) until ready to serve. Top with fresh blueberries and maybe some melted coconut butter!
- Waffles freeze great and reheat lovely in toaster.
Recipe yields about 8, 4″ waffles, when using 1/4 cup batter per waffle.
If you don’t love blueberries in waffles, feel free to omit. Chocolate chips would also be a great addition!
You can also use whole wheat white, or a combination of whole wheat with all-purpose, if not gluten free.
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 267
- Fat: 5
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 23
Keywords: matcha waffles, gluten free waffles, matcha recipes
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.