Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos make for the best healthy meal prep breakfast! An easy recipe to freeze for later, or refrigerate to enjoy all week long.
Who doesn’t love a good healthy breakfast burrito?! Especially one that you can easily prep ahead of time and enjoy a quick hearty breakfast for the week.
There are plenty of ways to make a breakfast burrito, but the sweet potato / black bean combination is one of my all-time favorites. It’s a versatile blend that can be used as a delicious vegetarian option in a variety of dishes. Like these Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos and Southwest Power Bowls.
And if you have any leftover filling or just prepping a double batch, you’ve now got enough to meal prep both breakfast and dinner!
If you’re looking for more ways to meal prep, check out this post!
Healthy Breakfast Burritos
This healthy breakfast burrito recipe is pretty straight forward – you can change up your beans, use a combination of egg whites with whole eggs, use your favorite shredded cheese, add breakfast sausage (they make vegan friendly ones!), etc.
I’ll give you my suggestions but feel free to put your own spin on these breakfast burritos.
- black beans
- sweet potato
How to Prepare
Step 1 – Cook Sweet Potatoes
Prepare the sweet potatoes by chopping into small cubes – you want smaller bites to fit better into the tortilla once rolled up.
Add the diced sweet potatoes, olive oil, seasoning, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Toss to combine than transfer to large skillet over medium heat. Cook sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft.
Step 2 – Cook the Eggs
Whisk together eggs and milk, season with salt and pepper then scramble and cook to your liking.
Step 3 – Assemble
Once everything is cooked and prepared (beans drained and rinsed, cheese in bowl, flour tortillas laid out) you can begin to assemble the burritos.
I like to start with the scrambled eggs, then potatoes and beans, shredded cheese and adding avocado last, if enjoying immediately.
When folding the flour tortilla, fold in ends first, then long side. Roll somewhat tightly and continue tucking in ends as you finish rolling up.
Ways to Flavor & Serve
- Add avocado before rolling the flour tortilla up.
- Add diced cooked bell peppers to the pan and cook until soft before adding and cooking eggs.
- Dip in sour cream, taco sauce or drizzle with sriracha.
- Serve with chips and salsa for lunch.
Great for Meal Prep
Whether you’re prepping for a friend or family member welcoming a newborn (Ways to Help a New Parent), looking for grab and go breakfasts, or you just don’t want to think about what’s for breakfast this week, these sweet potato breakfast burritos are the way to go.
How to Freeze
To make freezer breakfast burritos, wrap the assembled burritos in aluminum foil and then store in an airtight container or bag (I like these stasher bags). Freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen burritos in fridge the night before if possible, then reheat in toaster oven (or conventional oven) at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes, or until center is heated through.
If placing frozen burritos in oven, keep in foil and bake for about 25-30 minutes at 400ºF.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Sun-dried Tomato Pesto & Spinach Egg White Wrap
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches (Freezer Friendly!)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Breakfast Parfaits
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos with Sweet Potatoes & Black Beans
These Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos made with sweet potatoes and black beans make for a great healthy make ahead meal. An easy recipe to freeze for later, or refrigerate to enjoy all week long. Serve with avocado, salsa, hot sauce, whatever you like!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American Breakfast
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 6 large wraps
- Prepare sweet potatoes: add chopped sweet potatoes, oil, seasoning, salt and pepper into a medium bowl. Toss to combine than transfer to large skillet over medium heat. Cook sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs: in a large bowl whisk together eggs with milk, adding salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to large non-stick skillet and scramble eggs, pushing edges with a silicone spatula, until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Assemble wraps: lay out 6 wraps on flat surface. Portion out 6 servings of eggs onto each wrap. Add about 1/3 cup of cooked sweet potatoes and black beans. Sprinkle on a few tablespoons of cheese if using. You could also add spinach here or fresh avocado if serving immediately. Fold up wraps and serve with some salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
- If freezing, wrap folded wraps tightly in aluminum foil, then place in airtight container or ziplock bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
- To reheat, use toaster oven for best results. Bake frozen burritos at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway through. If reheating thawed burritos, bake at 350ºF for about 10-15 minutes, or until middle is heated through.
- Serving Size: 1/6
- Calories: 482
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 855
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 22
- Cholesterol: 267
Keywords: healthy breakfast burrito recipe, how to make breakfast burritos, freezer breakfast burritos
Rate this Recipe