A filling plant-based meal using simple whole foods and some adobo seasoning makes for one delicious Southwest Quinoa Power Bowl. Top with a healthy, homemade honey lime dressing and this bowl will be on repeat! Packed with protein and fiber, plus gluten-free, and dairy-free friendly.
SO YOU GUYS. I just freaking found out there is going to be a Whole Foods where we’ll be living after we move this next month. (!!!!!) How did I not know about this sooner?! (Thanks, Brie.)
I was so excited I couldn’t wait to call Drew on my way home from work. Apparently he already knew, and has planned our savings accordingly… Ha… Ha. But on that note, seriously my thought process went like this: “I GET A WHOLE FOODS! … Shit. I get a Whole Foods. This could be bad, very bad.”
I mean you get it, right?! Maybe not… nice grocery stores just make me happy and I want to buy all the things! I love exploring all of the natural products places like Whole Foods has to offer… Oh man guys I’m seriously way too excited for this. I’m going to need someone to watch me like a hawk the first time I go so I don’t buy an item from every shelf… seriously.
Okay, sorry we can move on to this Southwest Quinoa Power Bowl now.
What you’ll need for the bowl
favorite southwest seasoning (I used adobo)
red bell pepper
for the easy dressing
coconut milk (plain yogurt also works)
It’s super simple and another great idea for some meal prep! This would make the best thrown together, easy quick meal if you had your sweet potatoes & onions and quinoa cooked before hand.
Plus this healthy honey lime dressing is DELISH. I kind of wanted to drink it… but I refrained so I could take this shot, obvi.
While this recipe was made for about 2-3 servings, keep in mind you could easily double all the ingredients and have yourself a healthy, plant-based meal for a family of four or so. Meatless Monday, anyone?!
The dressing really takes this bowl over the top. I love the creamy lime flavor all stirred in 😀
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 tsp adobo seasoning (or a southwest flavor seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- cilantro for garnish
- Honey Lime Dressing:
- 2 TBS canned coconut milk*
- 1 TBS water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime, about 3 TBS
- 1 TBS raw honey
- 1/8 tsp salt, or more to taste
- COOK QUINOA: Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer and place in small pot of water with 1 1/2 cups of water. Allow pot to come to a boil, add in your seasoning and simmer for about 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender and water has mostly gone.
- COOK SWEET POTATOES: While the quinoa is cooking, cook your chopped sweet potato and onion in medium pan with olive oil. Add salt and pepper, or more seasoning if you wish. Cook on medium heat until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- MAKE DRESSING: In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients
- ASSEMBLE BOWLS: Distribute quinoa, potatoes and onions, black beans, bell pepper, and sliced avocado in bowls. Dress with honey lime dressing and garnish with cilantro if you wish, enjoy!
*can sub plain greek yogurt for coconut milk if not dairy-free
Feel free to double ingredients for full-sized family meal!
-Store any leftover ingredients in airtight container in fridge up to 5 days.
-Nutrition does not include dressing.
–Honey Lime Dressing= 80 calories, 3 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs, 9 grams of sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 8
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 58
- Fiber: 15
- Protein: 13
Have a great weekend peeps! I’ll be (finally) working on actually packing and cleaning. KIND of sort of have to do that now… it’ll be my last real weekend here! Eeekk
- If you love Whole Foods… how do you not let it take all of your money?? I need someone to come shop with me and tell me “No, Ashley. Put those DOWN. No, you may not buy all 15 flavors of GT’s kombucha today.”
^^ but seriously…
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.