A filling plant-based meal using simple whole foods and some adobo seasoning makes for one delicious Southwest Quinoa Power Bowl. Top with a healthy, homemade honey lime dressing and this bowl will be on repeat! Packed with protein and fiber, plus gluten-free, and dairy-free friendly.
Southwest Quinoa Power Bowl
What you need for the power bowl
- favorite southwest seasoning (I used adobo)
- olive oil
- sweet potato
- black beans
- red bell pepper
- avocado (duh)
Honey Lime Dressing
- coconut milk (plain yogurt also works)
- honey (or agave if strictly vegan)
- olive oil
Plus this healthy honey lime dressing is DELISH. I kind of wanted to drink it… but I refrained so I could take this shot, obvi.
While this recipe was made for about 2-3 servings, keep in mind you could easily double all the ingredients and have yourself a healthy, plant-based meal for a family of four or so.
Meatless Monday, anyone?!
The dressing really takes this bowl over the top. I love the creamy lime flavor all stirred in 😀
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and review here on the blog! I love seeing what you’ve made. Xx Ashley
For the bowls
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 tsp adobo seasoning (or a southwest flavor seasoning)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- cilantro for garnish
Honey Lime Dressing
- 2 TBS canned coconut milk*
- 1 TBS water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lime, about 3 TBS
- 1 TBS raw honey (or agave if strictly vegan)
- 1/8 tsp salt, or more to taste
- COOK QUINOA: Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer and place in small pot of water with 1 1/2 cups of water. Allow pot to come to a boil, add in your seasoning and simmer for about 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender and water has mostly gone.
- COOK SWEET POTATOES: While the quinoa is cooking, cook your chopped sweet potato and onion in medium pan with olive oil. Add salt and pepper, or more seasoning if you wish. Cook on medium heat until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- MAKE DRESSING: In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients
- ASSEMBLE BOWLS: Distribute quinoa, potatoes and onions, black beans, bell pepper, and sliced avocado in bowls. Dress with honey lime dressing and garnish with cilantro if you wish, enjoy!
*can sub plain greek yogurt for coconut milk if not dairy-free. Feel free to double ingredients for full-sized family meal! Store any leftover ingredients in airtight container in fridge up to 5 days.
Nutrition does not include dressing.
Honey Lime Dressing= 80 calories, 3 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbs, 9 grams of sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 727mg
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 13g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58
- Fiber: 15
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Have a great weekend peeps! I’ll be (finally) working on actually packing and cleaning. KIND of sort of have to do that now… it’ll be my last real weekend here! Eeekk
- If you love Whole Foods… how do you not let it take all of your money?? I need someone to come shop with me and tell me “No, Ashley. Put those DOWN. No, you may not buy all 15 flavors of GT’s kombucha today.”
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.