Making healthy homemade nutella at home couldn’t be easier! Learn how to make your own hazelnut butter using this easy vegan recipe. Dip fruit in it for a simple snack or top your favorite vegan ice cream for a delicious dessert. Kids love it too! It’s vegan and paleo friendly.
Was anyone else late to the nutella game?
I’m not sure why, but it wasn’t until I was an adult that I heard about nutella and became instantly obsessed! My favorite way might be on toast with banana slices…
Or with strawberries…
Or by the spoonful!
Really you can put it on just about anything and it will be amazing.
This homemade chocolate hazelnut spread is even better because it’s healthy.
Around here does not last long! I love taking it to get togethers (you know those things we were allowed to have before 2020) with lots of fresh cut fruit and it’s always a hit.
Ways to Use Homemade Nutella
- On toast, bread, english muffins, bagels!
- Dip fruit in it- strawberries, apples, or bananas.
- As an oatmeal topping.
- You can put it on top of muffins.
- Of course, you can always top some yummy snacks like Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Balls or No-Bake Hazelnut Fig Granola Bars.
- Top your favorite desserts with it – cheesecake or brownies.
- Put it on top of pancakes or waffles.
- Stirred into hot chocolate!
- The possibilities are truly endless!
What you need for healthy hazelnut spread
How to Make Healthy Nutella
Step 1 – Roast Hazelnuts
Spread the hazelnuts on a baking pan evenly and toast them at 325ºF for about 15 minutes, or until just lightly golden. I suggest watching after 10 minutes just to be sure they don’t get too dark.
Then you can roll the hazelnuts between a towel to remove the skins.
Step 2 – Begin Processing
Now add to the bowl of your food processor and start grinding away.
Step 3 – Add Chocolate
As the hazelnuts start to turn to butter, add the chopped chocolate.
Step 4 – Add Oil
Step 5 – Sugar and Salt
The additional sugar is optional but I would do a taste test before adding. If you’re using dark chocolate or unsweetened chocolate, you’ll likely want to add some sweetener here.
And salt helps balance the flavor just a touch.
Continue processing until you get a nice smooth consistency!
How to Store Hazelnut Spread
Transfer hazelnut spread to jars with lids. You can keep the nutella in the pantry for about 2 months. Or keep in the fridge for longer, about 6 months.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx Ashley
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and place raw hazelnuts on a medium-sized baking sheet. Spread evenly in one layer and toast for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let hazelnuts cool on pan for 10 minutes. Transfer hazelnuts to clean dish towel and roll skins off.
- Place hazelnuts in bowl of food processor and cover with lid. Process until the hazelnuts break down and thick butter starts to form. Depending on your food processor, this could take about 10 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically if necessary.
- Add chopped chocolate,and process again until almost smooth. Then add coconut sugar and salt. Continue processing until desired consistency is reached. The longer you process, the creamier it will be.
- Allow nutella to cool before transferring to jars with lid.
Storing: I typically store homemade nut butters in my cupboard up to 2 months. You can also store in refrigerator for about 6 months.