A Superfood Hot Chocolate recipe made with cacao, adaptogens and a few spices make it a fun and healthy hot cocoa (with lots of benefits!) to enjoy all winter long. It’s a comforting chocolatey drink that is Paleo and Vegan, too!
*WINTER IS COMING*
If you would have said that to me four months ago I would have looked at you and said: “Yeah, but not for a while!”
However, I now understand that is a reference to Game of Thrones. Drew and I started watching it this Fall and obviously we’re hooked. I somewhat understand what all the hype is about. Okay, so our lives may not be that exciting, but cacao hot chocolate is SUPER EXCITING!
Yes, that’s right. One of my favorite comfort foods to enjoy while binge-watching is this super good-for-you hot chocolate recipe. I mean, it includes all those beneficial superfoods like maca or reishi, ginger, turmeric and cayenne! This superfood hot chocolate recipe is warm, silky, creamy and delicious while packing in a bunch of health benefits.
I say that’s one way to fight off all those White Walkers! (Ha, bad joke.)
Superfood Hot Chocolate Recipe
I love to take a simple vegan and dairy-free hot chocolate recipe up a notch by adding some superfood spices and herbs for a lovely healthy concoction. You really can’t go wrong!
Ingredients You Need
- unsweetened dairy-free milk, such as cashew or almond milk
- cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- maple syrup, honey or Medjool dates
- maca or reishi powder
- cayenne pepper (just a pinch!)
- ghee or coconut oil, optional
- collagen peptides, optional
How To Make Healthy Hot Chocolate with Cacao and Adaptogens
- Heat non-dairy milk. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the dairy-free milk until steaming.
- Add cacao, adaptogens and spices. Once the milk is warm, add the cacao (or cocoa) powder, sweetener (if using), adaptogen herbs and spices. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Optionally, add fat and collagen. Add the ghee or coconut oil and collagen peptides at the very end and pour into two mugs. These offer an extra dose of health benefits but feel free to leave them out if you’d like.
Maca Powder Benefits
If you’re not familiar with maca, it’s a root from the member of the cruciferous family (broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc.) with over 20 amino acids and rich in phytonutrients. It has been shown to have a variety of health benefits, i.e. balancing hormones, stabilizing blood sugar, etc.
Maca is also considered an “adaptogen”. Adaptogens are names give to certain herbs/plants that help the body naturally adapt to stress. Anything from a busy schedule to getting sick to too many workouts (yes, working out stresses the body), adaptogens can help bring the body back into balance.
Inflammatory Spices, Too!
Whether or not you decide to add the adaptogens, the other spices act as superfoods too! Cinnamon, ginger and turmeric are all great for inflammation. And the capsaicin in cayenne gives the hot chocolate with cacao powder a kick, as well as your metabolism!
Tips For The Best Cacao Hot Chocolate
- Use the stovetop. I recommend the stovetop over the microwave because the constant heat helps break down the spices in the cacao hot chocolate better.
- Use a small blender or use a hand-held frother for extra froth at the top.
- For the sweetener, you can use maple syrup, honey or blend in 1-2 Medjool dates (I use my NutriBullet) for a no sugar added option – like I did with this Golden Milk Latte.
More Superfood Drink Recipes You’ll Love:
- Maca Mocha Cold Brew Smoothie
- Spiced Matcha Latte
- Homemade Superfood Chocolate Nut Milk
- Purple Power Superfood Smoothie
If you make this Cacao Hot Chocolate recipe, be sure to leave a comment and review on the blog! I love hearing from you, and it helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Superfood Hot Chocolate
A Superfood Hot Chocolate made with cacao, adaptogen herbs and spices make it a comforting healthy hot cocoa to enjoy all winter long.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1–2 TBS maple syrup, honey or 2 Medjool dates* (or date paste)
- 2 tsp maca powder or reishi powder**
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 servings collagen peptides
- Heat milk in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering.
- Add in cacao or cocoa powder and sweetener of choice; whisk until smooth.
- Add in maca or reishi powder, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and pinch of cayenne. Whisk continuously while mixture is simmering, about 2 minutes.
- Add in optional add-ins of ghee, coconut oil and/or collagen peptides. You can divide mixture here depending on personal preference.
- Pour spicy superfood hot chocolate into two mugs, enjoy!
*Use 2 Medjool dates per 2 servings if you’d like a Whole30 option. Pure maple syrup, honey, agave, coconut sugar or even a stevia sweetener would work depending on personal preference.
**You may leave out the adaptogens of you’d like, but if you’re interested in adding them into your diet this is a fun way to enjoy them!
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 145mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: cacao hot chocolate, superfood hot chocolate recipe, healthy cocoa recipes, hot chocolate with adaptogens
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.
photography by: Roberta Dall’Alba