This Vanilla Mint Matcha Protein Shake is the perfect workout snack. Matcha has numerous health benefits and plant protein helps keep the fat burning effects of matcha while rebuilding muscle.
*April 2018: post and photos updated. Recipe slightly tweaked.*
It’s MATCHA MONDAY everyone!
Have you heard of matcha? If you’re new to the health food world, this might just be your day to learn something new. If you’ve heard of matcha, but not necessarily looked into including it in your diet, you may want to consider changing that!
Matcha is a finely ground tea powder, unique to Japan, made of “shade grown” tea leaves. Growing the tea leaves in the shade enhances the chlorophyll content, making the leaves a vibrant, green color. Chlorophyll acts as a powerful detoxifier, helping to eliminate both chemicals and heavy metals from the body. Matcha also uses the entire tea leaf, which makes this tea powder rich in vitamins and minerals.
What’s So Great About Matcha?
Matcha is great for anyone. Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast or not, matcha would be a great addition to your diet. I’ve been drinking matcha for a while now, and as with most new healthy foods I add into my diet, I like to do a bit of research first. Here are some of the key benefits matcha has to offer:
1. Cancer Prevention: Matcha contains antioxidants called catechins, which are not found in other foods. The catechin found in green tea, EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) provides cancer-fighting properties. EGCg and other catechins counteract the effects of dangerous free radicals coming from chemicals, radiation, UV rays, which can all lead to cell and DNA damage.
2. Aids* in Weight Loss: I don’t want this benefit to be held with too much high regard, but there is research shown that consuming matcha can help boost metabolism and burn fat.
3. Lowers LDL “Bad” Cholesterol: The catechin found in green tea, EGCg, also aids in lowering cholesterol levels.
4. Boosts Energy Levels: Matcha is a good substitute to coffee, because it helps give you the energy you need, without the side effects that coffee can sometimes give you.
Okay, so on to the recipe…
This Vanilla Mint Matcha Protein Shake is so refreshing
I’ve made this shake several times and find it SO refreshing, especially post-workout. I like to use protein powder for optimal muscle-building, unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk), a little bit of plain non-dairy yogurt (plant-based for better fat burning effects from matcha) for added thickness, some ice, mint leaves, and of course MATCHA.
The flavor of matcha may be a little strong and “grassy” to some on its own, but a little raw honey or a drop or two of monk fruit extract can help. 🙂 OR, you could always use a vanilla or honey flavored yogurt to help add some more sweetness to this drink, and lessen the “grassy” taste you may come across. Also using a quality matcha powder will help! Ceremonial grade is what I used.
This recipe is listed for one, but can easily be doubled. I also suggest using non-dairy milk to optimize the fat-burning properties of matcha. I read here that casein (a protein found in milk) may bind with the catechins, making them unavailable for absorption in the body, therefore lessening the effects of matcha.
Alright, enough science talk, let’s make this drink.
- Add all ingredients to a single-serve blender (such as Nutri-Bullet), and blend until smooth. Adjust liquid for desired consistency.
*Use coconut milk for extra creamy – adjust liquid to desired consistency. Using non-dairy milk will keep the fat burning effects of matcha.
This recipe can easily be doubled for 2
If looking to boost carb intake post workout, a banana is a great addition to this drink!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 600
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 29
- Cholesterol: 18
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.