This Vanilla Mint Matcha Protein Shake is the perfect workout shake! Matcha for fat burning, whey protein for building muscle!
It’s MATCHA MONDAY everyone!
Have you heard of matcha? If you’re new to the health food world, this might just be your day to learn something new. If you’ve heard of matcha, but not necessarily looked into including it in your diet, you may want to consider changing that!
Matcha is a finely ground tea powder, unique to Japan, made of “shade grown” tea leaves. Growing the tea leaves in the shade enhances the chlorophyll content, making the leaves a vibrant, green color. Chlorophyll acts as a powerful detoxifier, helping to eliminate both chemicals and heavy metals from the body. Matcha also uses the entire tea leaf, which makes this tea powder rich in vitamins and minerals.
Matcha is great for ALL people. Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast or not, matcha would be a great addition to your diet. I’ve been drinking matcha for a while now, and as with most new healthy foods I add into my diet, I like to do a bit of research first. Here are some of the key benefits matcha has to offer:
1. Cancer Prevention: Matcha contains antioxidants called catechins, which are not found in other foods. The catechin found in green tea, EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) provides cancer-fighting properties. EGCg and other catechins counteract the effects of dangerous free radicals coming from chemicals, radiation, UV rays, which can all lead to cell and DNA damage.
2. Aids* in Weight Loss: I don’t want this benefit to be held with too much high regard, but there is research shown that consuming matcha can help boost metabolism and burn fat.
3. Lowers LDL “Bad” Cholesterol: The catechin found in green tea, EGCg, also aids in lowering cholesterol levels.
4. Boosts Energy Levels: Matcha is a good substitute to coffee, because it helps give you the energy you need, without the side effects that coffee can sometimes give you.
Okay, so on to the recipe…
I’ve made this shake several times and find it SO refreshing, especially post-workout. I like to use whey protein powder, for optimal muscle-building (more muscle=more fat burning!), unsweetened non-dairy milk (such as Silk Unsweetened Cashew Milk), a little bit of plain greek yogurt for more protein and added thickness, some ice, mint leaves, and of course MATCHA. And if you’re vegan, feel free to sub your favorite vanilla vegan protein powder, and non-dairy yogurt, or you can even leave the yogurt out entirely.
The flavor of matcha may be a little strong and “grassy” to some on its own, but a little raw honey or a drop or two of glycerite can help. 🙂 OR, you could always use a vanilla or honey flavored yogurt to help add some more sweetness to this drink, and lessen the “grassy” taste you may come across.
This recipe is listed for one, but can easily be doubled. I also suggest using non-dairy milk to optimize the fat-burning properties of matcha. I read here that casein (a protein found in milk) may bind with the catechins, making them unavailable for absorption in the body, therefore lessening the effects of matcha.
Alright, enough science talk, let’s make this drink!
This Vanilla Mint Matcha Protein Shake is the perfect workout drink, helping burn fat and build muscle!
- Add all ingredients to a single-serve blender (such as Nutri-Bullet), and blend until smooth.
*Adjust liquid accordingly to your preferred thin or thickness
*Substitute non-dairy alternatives for protein powder and yogurt
*You may want to consider using a flavored yogurt or adding honey if you're new to consuming matcha.
*If looking to boost carb intake post workout, a banana is a great addition to this drink!
*Nutrition calculated with ingredients listed
Making this recipe? I would love to see it!
Tag @fitmittenkitchen and hashtag #fitmittenkitchen