This Grilled Honey Lime Chicken Salad is going to be your new favorite way to get in your protein and greens! The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the salad loaded with all the toppings to make one killer salad. Gluten-free and paleo-friendly.
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted a salad recipe and this one is G O O D.
I am a firm believer in the power of salad. When people say they don’t like salads, they really just aren’t doing them right! Unfortunately at one point, salad got a bad reputation –much like brussels sprouts – probably from the mainstream restaurants serving lackluster iceberg lettuce and plain toppings, accompanied by the less than mediocre dressing when they wanted to offer “healthier options.” Poor salad…
So what makes a salad really awesome? Greens selection (think rich dark colors), toppings (texture) and flavor combinations with seasonings and dressings. There are a variety of ways to achieve an awesome salad but those are the basics.
I really make a point to have a salad at least 4-6 times a week. Why? Because they make you feel good! I would say I salad everyday, but sometimes but that isn’t always realistic. Of course there are other ways to get your greens in, but if you’re looking to up your nutrient intake a loaded salad is the way to go.
If you want to hop on the salad train, try getting in the habit of packing a salad for lunch three times a week. If three times is too much to start, try two days. Little changes like this over time will lead to longterm healthy habits that will soon become second nature. For me, I rarely have to think about whether or not I’ve had a salad during the week because I’ve made it a habit over time. I promise it is so worth it.
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken Salad
One of my go-to ways to make a hearty yet lean salad is with grilled chicken breast. So I’m sharing a simple and flavorful grilled honey lime chicken that truly makes for the best salad topping. For the chicken we’re using Just BARE Natural Chicken Breast Fillets. Have you heard of them? Just BARE is committed to promoting the journey to healthier living with the “Living Lean & Clean” campaign and it all starts with their chickens.
I’ve said this before but I try to be a conscious consumer as much as possible, especially when it comes to the meat industry. Since I’ve started paying more attention to where the meat we purchase comes from, I truly can tell a difference between the taste and texture of a higher quality meat. With Just BARE, their chickens are healthy and fed a nutrient-dense diet – it really affects the quality and taste. They are also American Humane Certified, traceable to family farms, and there is no use of any antibiotics ever.
What I did for the chicken breast was lightly season it with a mix of cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper before adding it to the grill. Once the chicken was almost cooked through, I then added the honey lime marinade. Adding the dry seasoning first and then brushing on the honey lime marinade after gave the chicken a kick of flavor underneath. Then the marinade makes the chicken super flavorful and juicy.
As the chicken is resting you can prep the salad. Side story: If you know about grilling meat you must let it rest! I say this with exclamation because my Dad–who watches the Food Network quite often–tells me time and time again that meat must rest before cutting into it. He recently scolded me for lifting up the foil one time while the meat was resting on the plate and said “The meat is resting! Let it rest!” 😉
The salad can be a mix of your favorite toppings but like I mentioned previously you want loads of texture. So I went for
But really you can go for different veggies, seeds, nuts, cheese (or no cheese) – whatever floats your boat!
I finished off the salad with a simple, homemade honey lime garlic vinaigrette that just took a few seconds to whisk together: honey, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and minced garlic – give or take some salt in there too.
This salad has got to be one of my new favorites, much thanks to the flavorful grilled honey lime chicken breast. Be sure to let me know if you try it!
for the chicken:
- 1 14oz package Just BARE Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest and juice of 1 lime, about 3 TBS
- 3 TBS honey
- 1 TBS avocado oil
- 2 TBS coconut aminos (may sub soy/tamari)
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
for the salad:
- 8 cups greens
- 1 large avocado
- 4 radishes
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roasted cashews
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled (leave out if dairy-free or paleo)
for the vinaigrette:
- zest and juice of 1 lime, about 3 TBS
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine seasonings in small bowl and sprinkle onto each side of chicken breast.
3. In small bowl combine zest and juice of lime with honey, avocado oil, coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
4. In another small bowl make vinaigrette: combine lime zest and juice, extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and salt. Whisk with fork until combined. Set aside.
5. Once grill has heated, place chicken breast on lightly oiled grates (to prevent chicken from sticking) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side with grill cover closed.
6. Using basting brush, brush chicken with honey lime mixture. Grill chicken for about 1-2 minutes before flipping and brushing other side, and cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes – until cooked through and middle no longer pink. Remove chicken from grill and allow meat to rest on plate.
7. While meat is resting prepare salad bowls with ingredients.
8. Slice chicken breasts and transfer to salad bowls. Top with vinaigrette. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This Honey Lime Grilled Chicken makes great leftovers for meal prep too!
Pin this recipe for later
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.