A simple Grapefruit Salmon Salad tossed with greens, quinoa, beets, avocado and fresh grapefruit.
This post is sponsored in partnership with Winter Sweetz. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help me bring you new recipes and make Fit Mitten Kitchen possible!
I LOVE a good salmon dish but I find it can be easy to fall into a rut of preparing the same ole salmon recipe. So I like to gather inspiration from what’s currently in season and right now, that is GRAPEFRUITS.
Winter Sweetz Texas Ruby Red Grapefruits are the sweetest right now, with their peak season running between November and March. So that calls for a celebration via this delicious grapefruit salmon recipe.
Grapefruit Salmon Salad
We’ll start with seasoning the salmon and finishing it off with a grapefruit glaze, and of course topping the salmon salad with more grapefruit segments, avocados, beets and more.
More about Winter Sweetz Grapefruits
Did you know there is actually a fairly simple way to segment grapefruits? Before I started working with Winter Sweetz, I honestly did not know there was a good method to segments grapefruits. But watch this video and you’ll see. You’ll get the most out of the grapefruit this way too!
Now before you go and start with “But grapefruits are so bitter…”
Winter Sweetz are the BEST grapefruits that are naturally sweet. Everyone I share these with loves them. And they often say, “I didn’t really think I liked grapefruits that much but these are so good!”
Also note: depending on the weather during a particular growing season grapefruits may have some natural scarring, but the fruit is perfectly delicious and sweet like always.
Ingredients for the Grapefruit Salmon Salad Recipe
- salmon fillets
- salad greens
- cooked red beets
- ripened avocado
Tips for preparing the salmon and grapefruit glaze
- I like a cast iron pan for salmon. I start cooking the salmon on the stovetop skin side down (seasoned on the top) and then finishing it off using the oven broiler. This makes cooking the salmon fairly quick and you should get a nice crust on the top.
- Before you start cooking the salmon on the stovetop get the grapefruit glaze going. You’ll cook down the minced garlic in a medium skillet for about 2 minutes before adding the grapefruit juice, honey, ginger powder and pinch of cayenne. The grapefruit glaze needs reduce and thicken. I simmered the sauce for about 6-7 minutes then quickly whisked in a teaspoon tapioca flour to help thicken the glaze. You can omit the tapioca (or use another thickening agent) but the glaze will take longer to reduce and won’t be as thick.
- You can then brush the salmon with the glaze before finishing with the broiler, or simply brush on the salmon before plating with the salad.
I love the combination of the grapefruit salmon salad with the cooked beets, grapefruit segments, and avocado. You can also opt to add bits of fresh mint, goat cheese and add quinoa for a heartier dish.
As with most salad recipes, they’re easily customizable. Use your favorite veggies, use the salmon as a main dish and add rice as a side if you prefer. But the honey grapefruit glaze definitely makes this recipe!
If you try this salmon salad, let me know by leaving a comment and review here on the blog! I always love hearing from you and it helps others find the recipe too!
ENTER HERE for your chance to win a $500 Amazon gift card that can be used to buy the supplies you need to maintain a healthy 2019. As a bonus, your entry will also automatically be entered for a chance to win one of 8 grapefruit shipments to your home! < – trust me, you want these grapefruits!
BONUS: Fit Mitten Kitchen readers also have the chance to win an additional $150 Amazon Gift Card happening over on Instagram. Click HERE to enter on Instagram.
A healthy salmon dinner made with a honey grapefruit glaze. Perfect on top of a salad served with grains and your favorite toppings.
- 2, 4oz salmon fillets
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of chili pepper
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- juice of 1 large grapefruit, about 1/2 cup
- 1 TBSP coconut aminos or tamari (can omit if needed)
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 tsp tapioca flour (for thickening)
for the salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 large cooked red beet, sliced
- 1 small sliced avocado
- goat cheese, optional
- Pat salmon fillets dry; sprinkle on seasoning and finish with salt and pepper. Heat cast iron skillet on stovetop and drizzle with olive oil. Place seasoned salmon fillets on preheated cast iron skillet, skin side down and cook about 3-4 minutes. Transfer skillet to broiler set to 500ºF and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from broiler and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a small skillet over medium heat, add oil and minced garlic to pan; cook for 2-3 minutes. Add grapefruit juice, coconut aminos, honey, ginger and pincy of cayenne; bring to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, until sauce has reduced. While whisking the mixture, add tapioca flour to thicken glaze. Brush immediately over cooked salmon.
- Assemble the salad: in a large bowl toss together salad greens with quinoa. Evenly distribute between two bowls and add your toppings and salmon. Serve with your favorite dressing (I like a simple olive oil cirtrus vinaigrette) and enjoy!
- Category: entree
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cooking with grapefruit, grapefruit recipes, salmon salad
More Grapefruit Recipes you may enjoy