Crostini makes the best party appetizer. Change things up this year with some goat cheese, avocado, and the sweetest Texas red grapefruit!
I’m fairly certain my first encounter with grapefruits was in the form of a “juice” via a can in the cafeteria at middle school. My taste buds were still rather picky then, and not having grown up eating grapefruits, I can’t say I ever bought the drink again–not that it was great for me anyways. Fast forward 15 years later and my taste buds have grown up a bit. I think my first time reintroducing grapefruits into my diet was probably only a couple of years ago though. One of my coworkers mentioned how much she loved broiled grapefruits, something I had never even considered–remember how I lived a very sheltered food life growing up–but was so intrigued by. It didn’t take me long to try out broiled grapefruit myself. It was definitely a new, enjoyable way for me to consume grapefruits.
I always thought that you needed to add sugar to help take away the bitterness that can be associated with grapefruits. However, that is definitely not the case with these Texas ruby red grapefruits. Winter Sweetz makes the sweetest, juiciest grapefruits I have ever had! I couldn’t stop myself from eating all of the little segments while putting together the crostini.
Speaking of segments… Did you know there is a really awesome, easy way to cut your grapefruits? Definitely check out this video to see how it’s done. You’ll get the most out of your grapefruit, AND enjoy all of the sweetness too!
Goat Cheese Avocado Grapefruit Crostini
We are just 12 days away from lots of Christmas Eve parties, guys! One of my favorite things about this time of year is all of the parties–okay, yes it can be a little stressful too but we’re focusing on the positives here!–and all of the FOOD. Between all of the holiday parties in December there will be plenty of new delicious recipes to try. Obviously I am hoping you give this recipe a fair go 😀
Seriously though, this Goat Cheese Avocado Grapefruit Crostini is light, refreshing, and won’t weigh you down before dinner time–it’s truly the perfect appetizer!
What you need
- 1 large baguette
- 5oz fresh goat cheese
- 1-2 medium avocados
- 2-3 large grapefruits
- 1 handful fresh basil
And even though there is a bit of prep work involved, it’s super simple to put together! You just toast your baguette slices, then start layering on the goat cheese, avocado slice, grapefruit segment, top with basil, drizzle with honey and your crostini is ready for action.
- 2–3 large Winter Sweetz red grapefruits
- 1 large baguette (mine was about 2′ long)
- 5oz fresh goat cheese
- 1–2 medium avocados (always safe to grab more than needed!)
- small handful fresh basil
- honey to drizzle, if desired
- Get out cooling rack and line with paper towels. Prepare grapefruit by cutting into segments, and carefully place segments on paper towel to soak up some moisture. Set aside. You’ll need as many grapefruit segments as you have crostini slices.
- Preheat oven to 325F, or use toaster oven. Slice baguette on the bias in about 1″ thick slices (make smaller depending on how many servings you need). Place crostini slices directly on rack and toast for about 5 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove crostini slices from oven and transfer to serving tray, large cutting board, or baking sheet.
- While the baguette is toasting get out goat cheese and slice avocados into thin slices.
- Using cheese knife, spread about 1/2 TBS of goat cheese on each crostini slice, then layer on avocado slice, then grapefruit segment.
- Rub fresh basil leaves between fingertips to release oils, then garnish crostini. If desired, you can add a drizzle of honey for a hint of extra sweetness.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Do you like grapefruits? What’s your favorite way to enjoy them?