ºHoney Grapefruit Glazed Chicken with coconut rice, cilantro and mint! Seriously this combo is unbelievably good. Make paleo by using cauliflower rice if you’d like! Gluten-free.
Guys. IT IS SO COLD OUTSIDE. I went out to get the mail with just a sweatshirt on (um, and pants too) and that was a mistake. Our mailbox isn’t even far but dang is it freaking frigid. I try not to complain though because I often think of those who have to work outside, regardless of the below freezing temperature and windchill. Even Mr. FMK has to brave these colder temps sometimes with the work he does and I do not envy him and his coworkers one bit.
As I sit here working bundled up in a fuzzy blanket, scarf on, drinking hot tea… Yep, definitely not complaining.
It’s getting to be that time of year where I am already thinking about a nice, warm mid-winter vacation. Oh, except it’s only January! And Michigan’s winter has basically just begun. Drew and I have been trying to plan a vacation (actually our honeymoon… just two and a half years late) but neither one of us has taken the time to sit down and do the research.
Excuse me while I get side-tracked searching Hawaii vacation rentals and such. JK… but not really.
Anywayysss let’s talk about this recipe because it is G-O-O-D.
Grapefruit Glazed Chicken with Coconut Rice
You may recall I partnered with Winter Sweetz – Texas Ruby Red Grapefruits– in November and made some fun scones for “Holiday Eatz”. Well here we are in January and it is time to lighten things up with some “Healthy Eatz”. With the holidays being so heavy in sweets, it’s nice to get back into the new year and start making some “real food” again. Nothing extreme, but just a general focus on more meal planning, H2O, greens and wholesome meals. I got a little lazy in December and I honestly can’t remember the last time I got creative in the kitchen and made a new dinner meal. So when Winter Sweetz asked me to share a “Healthy Eatz” kind of recipe with you I was up for the challenge.
I made you some delicious Honey Grapefruit Glazed Chicken and paired it with coconut rice, cilantro and mint. The combination is truly delicious. Something I can see us having in a regular weeknight rotation.
What you need
apple cider vinegar
This is kind of my healthy take on orange glazed chicken but using grapefruit. The Winter Sweetz grapefruits are SO delicious and sweet, that even if you don’t love grapefruits, I still think you’d enjoy this recipe.
Some notes about the process
You start with the grapefruit glaze first by mixing the ingredients in a saucepan and letting it simmer before you start the chicken. I used chicken breast here but you could also use chicken thighs if you’d like.
Start the coconut rice after you’ve got all of your grapefruit sauce ingredients cooking.
While the sauce and the rice are cooking, add the chicken breast to a skillet and cook until almost done. At this point your glaze should be ready and you add the glaze into the skillet and allow the chicken to simmer in the glaze for about another 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached.
I did add a little tapioca starch to the glaze in the saucepan before adding it into the skillet but it isn’t absolutely necessary – the tapioca starch just helps thicken the sauce.
Once the chicken has cooked, serve it up with the coconut rice and garnish with cilantro and mint. The mint really adds a lot to this dish so I highly suggest you give it a try!
Oh, and purple kale because it’s pretty 🙂
Let me know if you try it out!Print
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lite canned coconut milk
- 1 cup white or brown rice (I used long grain white)
- salt to taste
grapefruit glazed chicken:
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (about 2 large Winter Sweetz Grapefruits)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 TBS tapioca starch/flour
- 2lbs chicken breast (could also use chicken thighs)
- grapefruit segments (see this video)
- purple kale
- Prepare the rice: In a medium-large saucepan over medium-high heat add water and coconut milk and bring to boil. Add in rice bringing pot to simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes, according to package instructions. Remove from heat when done.
- Meanwhile prepare the grapefruit glaze: In medium saucepan over medium heat add freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, honey, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, vinegar, oil, spices and salt. Whisk gently until combined and allow mixture to come to a boil before simmering for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the chicken: Trim off any excess fat from chicken breast as desired. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with coriander, cumin, chili powder and salt. Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add some oil to pan and place chicken breast in pan, not overcrowding the pan. Cook chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Now that the sauce has simmered, remove from heat and whisk in the 2 tapioca starch – whisk quickly and continuously so it doesn’t clump. You can omit the tapioca starch, the sauce just won’t be as thick.
- Pour sauce over chicken in skillet and allow the chicken to simmer for about another 3 minutes, or until internal temperature has reached 165ºF. Remove from heat.
- Serve grapefruit glazed chicken with coconut rice and top with fresh cilantro, mint, grapefruit segments, and massaged purple kale. Enjoy!