This delicious, creamy White Bean and Kale Soup is the perfect quick and easy meal. With white beans, celery, carrots and onions for lots of texture and flavor.
30 Minute Soup Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good soup recipe that can be ready in 30 minutes or less?
This white bean soup is perfect for the stovetop and barely takes any time at all.
But you can also throw everything in the slow cooker for hands-off cooking ready in a couple of hours.
Most of the work is in prepping the vegetables.
White Bean Soup Ingredients
- white beans – use cannellini, Northern, or even Navy beans. I typically go for canned beans but you can also cook dry beans if you’d like.
- celery, carrots, onions and garlic – adds a delicious combination of flavor and texture.
- spices and herbs – oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, plus salt and pepper to taste. And some parsley.
- broth and lemon juice or vinegar – use vegetable broth for a vegan-friendly soup. Or chicken broth works here too. You can use low sodium or regular, just taste test before adding additional salt.
- canned coconut milk – to keep this creamy white bean soup dairy free, use the cream from canned coconut milk. The coconut flavor comes through ever-so-slightly, but makes this soup creamier. If you want to lighten the soup up you can either omit or sub with something like cashew milk.
- kale – I personally think curly kale is the best here, as it wilts down nicely.
Tips for Creamy White Bean Soup
There are a few easy ways to make this soup creamy without adding dairy…
- Mash half of the beans to thicken the soup
- Use coconut milk for a dairy free creamy flavor
Optional – Blend one cup of the soup (including the veggies) and add it back into the pot of soup to simmer before adding the milk and kale.
Easy Stovetop Soup Recipe
This plant based soup is really easy to make on the stovetop. It takes less than 30 minutes, when using pre-cooked or canned white beans.
First cook down the veggies and spices.
Over medium heat in a medium-large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, add oil, onions, carrots, celery, minced garlic cloves and spices. Stir frequently for 5-8 minutes, cooking until carrots and celery are slightly soft.
Add Broth and Beans
Add broth, whole white beans and mashed white beans, plus salt and pepper.
Stir in Kale and Cream
Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the coconut cream, lemon juice, kale and parsley.
Storing & Reheating Soup
To refrigerate, store this white bean soup recipe by keeping it in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within one week.
To freeze, use a freezer-safe storage option and use within 3 months.
To thaw, transfer container of soup to fridge overnight.
To reheat, portion out servings and transfer to pot, place on stovetop over low-medium heat until warmed through.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Kale White Bean Soup
Delicious, creamy White Bean and Kale Soup! Made vegan friendly, this healthy soup recipe is made in less than 30 minutes on the stovetop for a perfect weeknight meal. Or make in the slow cooker in about 2 hours.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (equal to 1 cup)
- 2 sticks celery, diced (equal to 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans cannellini beans (divided), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch curly kale, about 4 cups chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or sub vinegar)
- 2 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk, just the cream, liquid discarded (see notes)
- Gather all of your ingredients: Dice vegetables, mince garlic, chop kale and mash one can of beans, while keeping the other can whole.
- Cook vegetables: Over medium heat in a medium-large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, add oil, onions, carrots, celery, minced garlic cloves and spices. Stir frequently for 5-8 minutes, cooking until carrots and celery are slightly soft.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add broth, whole white beans and mashed white beans, plus salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the coconut cream, lemon juice, kale and parsley.
- Continue cooking soup for another 5 minutes, until kale is wilted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with your favorite soup additions such as crusty bread.
Coconut cream – I like to use just the coconut cream, and saving the liquid for smoothies. Make sure you do not shake the can prior to removing the cream with a large spoon. If not worried about this recipe being dairy-free, you can sub about 3/4 cup half & half.
Keywords: white bean soup, tuscan white bean soup, vegan soup recipes