Simple Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins made with whole grain flour and dairy-free too. This recipe is great for kids!
Well hello hello, my friends!
First Monday back in “the mainland”, as they say in Hawaii. It’s going to be tough getting back in the swing of things. After 10 days of vacation my mind doesn’t know how to function in relation to work things. I am most certainly still on island time… not to mention 6 hours behind (thanks daylight savings *eye roll*) so I will likely be dragging for a couple of days. But guys we had such an awesome time on Kauai and I can’t wait to share all about it! I am working on a blog post with all the deets for later this week but bear with me as I get the blog and recipes back into the regular routine.
I did make these whole grain chocolate chip muffins before I left though *woot woot*. It had been a while since I shared a muffin recipe with you. And since my Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins are a reader favorite I decided I’d make some minor tweaks to that recipe for this chocolate chip version.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
A classic recipe with some healthier swaps – ingredients you likely already have in your pantry!
WHAT YOU NEED
whole wheat pastry flour
non-dairy milk + apple cider vinegar
oil (avocado, coconut, etc.)
I love muffin recipes. They’re quick and easy. At least this one is. All the ingredients are easily mixed by hand and distributed into a muffin tin. Bake for about 15-20 minutes and you have yourself the most delicious whole grain healthy chocolate chip muffins that happen to be dairy-free too.
I tested this recipe twice but didn’t get to testing with a flaxseed “egg” for a vegan version. But most of my muffin recipes like this work just fine with the flaxseed mixture if looking for a vegan sub. Just mix 1 tablespoon flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and allow the mixture to gel up for about 5 minutes.
These muffins are best served warmed and enjoyed within 2-3 days. Feel free to half the batch if you’re baking for one… or share with friends 😀
Let me know if you try these!
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour *(or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBS oil (avocado, sunflower, or liquid coconut)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg**
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- coarse sugar for sprinkling tops
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Grease 12 muffin cups or use silicone liners. Set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup add 2/3 cup of milk + ½ TBS of apple cider vinegar, set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil with maple syrup. Add in egg and vanilla and whisk until combined. Pour milk-vinegar mixture and gently stir.
- Add bowl of dry ingredients into large bowl of wet ingredients. Using large spatula gently combine until all dry ingredients are almost incorporated.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix. Batter will be somewhat thick. Avoid over-mixing the batter or you’ll end up with tough muffins.
- Evenly distribute batter into 12-cup muffin pan, filling 2/3 full (about ¼ cup of batter). Sprinkle on more mini chocolate chips if you’d like and top with pinches of coarse sugar.
- Bake muffins at 425ºF for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375ºF and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick in center of muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes before gently removing. TIP: if greasing muffin pan, I use a butter knife to remove from pan. Transfer chocolate chip muffins to wire rack and allow to cool completely before storing. Muffins are best enjoyed fresh within 3 days. These muffins are a little bit more dense than traditional muffins so I’d suggest warming them up to help soften.
*FLOUR – Whole wheat white flour OR half all-purpose half whole wheat flour OR 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour will be fine. I did not test with grain-free flours.
*TO MAKE VEGAN – Sub egg with 1 TBS flaxseed meal + 3 TBS water; let mixture gel up for 5 minutes.