This Quick & Sweaty Resistance Band + Plyo Workout is perfect for when you’re short on time. Because you’re using a resistance band, this workout is also great for travel and can really be done anywhere! Plyometric moves can be easily modified for lower impact if needed. Grab your bands and water bottle (and maybe a sweat towel) and let’s do this.
Alright my friends, it is that time again… A new workout for you!
Over the past year I’ve been trying to find a good balance of getting in exercise + knowing when it’s okay to take a break. And sometimes it’s not a complete break but just changing things up and finding a different way to workout. I get in these moods where I know I want to workout, but I have a hard time figuring out just what kind of workout I could use. This whole “listen to your body “thing is easier said than done.
On those days I crave movement but don’t want to go full-out high-intensity mode, or if I am short on time and can’t make the trek up to the studio (FLEXcity Fitness) I find myself coming up with quick circuits I can do at home within 20-30 minutes.
So here go!
Resistant Band + Plyo Workout
Circuits 1-3 are 15 reps, 3 sets, with the plyo move being for time; 30 seconds. Circuit 4 is 20 reps, 2 sets, plyo move 30 seconds.
Change up the resistance on the the TheraBand by how high up or down low you hold on the band. If using interchangeable bands, go for a medium-heavy band if possible. You want to feel the burn in that third set!
Circuit 1 – 15 reps, 3 sets
- Hammer Curls
- Banded Squats
- PLYO: Mountain Climbers –30 seconds
- Hammer Curls: Step feet inside band, hip width apart, press hips slightly forward and engage core. Keep palms facing in, lift and lower band. Change resistance of band by grabbing lower down. Make sure you control the lift and the lowering portion of the movement.
- Banded Squats: Grab lower down on the band for added resistance. Drop hips down, sending your seat (butt) back while keeping the weight in the heels. Drive up through the heels, squeeze your seat at the top.
- Mountain Climbers: Drop down into plank keeping shoulders in line with wrists. Pump knees in towards your chest, alternating. Go as fast as you can.
Circuit 2 – 15 reps, 3 sets
- Band W’s
- Wide Squat
- PLYO: High Knees – 30 seconds
- Band W’s: Stand with feet hip width apart, pressing hips slightly forward with core engaged. Bring band behind your back, hugging elbows into your waist. Push the band in and out. Change the resistance by grabbing closer together in the middle of the band.
- Wide Squat: Stand with feet wider than hip distance (heels not quite 2 feet apart), toes slightly turned out. Bend the knees, keeping upright with your shoulders staying over your hips. Think about using your inner thighs to pull yourself up as you straighten.
- High Knees: Jog in place driving knee up high towards chest before jumping to switch. Go as fast as you can.
Circuit 3 – 15 reps, 3 sets
- Tricep Kickbacks
- Split Squat with Front Shoulder Raise – right, left
- PLYO: Jump Squats –30 seconds
- Tricep Kickbacks: Stand on band with feet hip width apart. Hinge forward from the hips/waist. Keep navel pulled in towards spine. Draw elbows back, hugging close to your waist. While keeping the elbows where they are, extend the band long engaging the triceps then bring the fists back to starting position.
- Split Squat with Front Shoulder Raise: Stepping one foot on band, step other foot behind as if finding a lunge. Make sure back foot is directly behind the hip, not behind the front foot. Drop back knee down 2 inches from floor (bending the front knee) while raising the band up to shoulder height. Stay in this position for 20 repetitions before switching sides. Make sure as you drop the back knee down, the front knee stays in line with the ankle/not going over the front toe; if it is, step your back foot back.
- Jump Squats: Stand with feet hip width apart. Drop down into a squat and explode up, jumping at the top and landing softly. Don’t be afraid to use your upper body here to help you explode up.
Circuit 4 – 20 reps, 2 sets
- Straight-Leg Banded Abs
- Tabletop Glutes
- PLYO: Skaters – 30 seconds
- Straight-Leg Banded Abs: Lie down on mat and place band around middle/balls of the feet, sending legs straight up in the air. Press the band out slightly activating your outer seat. Grabbing hold of the band, place right hand over left and curl head and shoulder blades off the mat. From this position pulse 20 times. Move onto tabletop glutes.
- Tabletop Glutes: Place band around middle/ball of the right food and place bands under hands directly below shoulders, with hips in line with knees (table top position). Make sure not to arch the back as you move the working leg. Keep a little more weight in the hand of the side that is working. Think about keepin the hips square. Kick band out/in 20 times. Then straight leg lift and lower 20 times. Repeat other side before plyo move.
- PLYO: Skaters – 30 seconds
- Repeat starting with ab set, left hand over right.
And that is it!
A quick workout that gets the job done.