Get those slow cookers out for these Thai Red Curry Turkey Meatballs! Paleo and Whole30 compliant recipe. This recipe is always a hit!
Finally a new slow cooker recipe this year!
One of my goals this winter is to make use of our slow cooker. The more meals we have prepped for dinner, the less work I have to do in the evening. Obviously cooking is part of my job but when I am in the kitchen most hours of the day a majority of the week, I don’t always get excited about making dinner. Especially if I don’t have anything truly planned out. I mean some days Mr. FMK helps with dinner but if we’re being honest, he just doesn’t have the patience for following recipe instructions. So the more meals we have ready to go, the easier it is on both of us.
Oh oh! I also just bought an Instant Pot *AAHHH* I am nervous yet excited at the same time. I was very apprehensive about buying one. I mean, does one really need another small kitchen appliance – especially when one’s pantry and cabinets are already overflowing with too many things… Clearly I am still apprehensive because it’s been sitting in the packaging for over a week now. OOPS. But I plan to bust it out this weekend and try some simple recipes out to get the hang of it. At the very least maybe some chicken breast to have for salads and whatnot. Hopefully some of you have an Instant Pot and I can share some recipes here with you all!
Okay, but enough about the Instant Pot. I am getting ahead of myself. Backing up to the slow cooker and these turkey meatballs!
Paleo Slow Cooker Thai Red Curry Turkey Meatballs
So now I bring your these turkey meatballs mixed in my favorite cashew curry sauce, made with no added sugars – Whole30 compliant if that’s your jam.
I used a Medjool dates to help bring some sweetness to the sauce (I felt it was lacking without), but you can also sub with honey or molasses (like I used in this recipe).
- ground turkey
- almond flour
- red curry paste
FOR THE SAUCE
- canned coconut milk
- cashew milk
- cashew butter
- red curry paste
- coconut aminos
- fish sauce (optional)
- Medjool dates (or molasses, honey)
There is a tad bit of prep work with making meatballs but I promise it’s worth it. You need to slightly brown the meatballs before adding them into the slow cooker with the sauce. The sauce can be made in a small food processor or blender and then it gets added into the slow cooker with the browned meatballs.
Now you just cook on high for about 2 hours or low for about 4 hours.
Serve with your favorite veggies, cauli rice, sweet potato noodles, zoodles, or your favorite grain if not eating paleo. There were plenty of leftovers with this recipe so I enjoyed all ways 😀
However you choose to enjoy them, these Red Thai Turkey Meatballs are delicious and make great leftovers too. When you don’t have to make lunches every day and dinner every night, life is good.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx Ashley
for the meatballs:
- 2lbs 94% lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup almond flour (meal should also work)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 TBS red Thai curry paste
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
for the sauce:
- 14oz can lite coconut milk (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
- 2/3 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or tamari, soy sauce if not paleo)
- 3 TBS red Thai curry paste
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or 3 TBS honey or molasses)
- 2 TBS finely chopped fresh ginger, or 1 TBS ginger paste
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp fish sauce (optional but adds flavor)
- 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
- make the meatballs: In large bowl add all ingredients for turkey meatballs. Uses large spoon to combine, then use hands as needed. Scoop mixture using medium cookie scoop, or about golf ball size and place on baking sheet. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown meatballs in batches as needed, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer browned meatballs to crockpot
- make the sauce: in a small food processor or blender add all ingredients for sauce (make sure canned coconut milk is in it’s liquid state – run under hot water if needed). Blend until smooth; taste test and add more salt or a touch more sweetness if desired.
- Pour sauce into crockpot with browned meatballs; cook on high for 2 hours or on low for about 4 hours. Check doneness with meat thermometer if desired (165ºF).
- Serve Thai Red Curry Turkey Meatballs with zuchhini noodles, sweet potato noodles spaghetti squash, cauli rice or greens for a paleo/Whole30 compliant meal. OR enjoy with rice, quinoa, etc.
- Serving Size: 1/8th
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 777mg
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.