Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins bursting with spice, carrots and crunchy walnuts. Can be made with cashew flour or almond flour! Soft, moist and low added sugar. Grain free, gluten free recipe.
Why You Should Make These Muffins
- They’re easy to make.
- You don’t need a ton of ingredients.
- The recipe is grain free and gluten free thanks to almond flour, but can also be made with cashew flour.
- Sweetened with just a few tablespoons of maple syrup, so they’re lower in sugar.
- Soft, moist and super flavorful!
- cashew flour or blanched almond flour
- tapioca flour
- baking soda & salt
- spices – cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice
- mashed banana or applesauce
- maple syrup
- coconut sugar (optional)
- apple cider vinegar
The Mix Ins
You’ll need grated carrots and chopped walnuts for the mix-ins to get the carrot cake like texture and flavor in these muffins.
TIP: Use the fine shred side of your box grater to grate carrots.
Or food processor with the grater attachment and S-blade to chop as well.
Just 20 Minutes
And I love how simple this recipe is! Not fancy equipment needed – just mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons.
The muffins take about 20 minutes in the oven.
Then it’s time for the cooling rack.
Muffin Pan Tip
If you don’t have spray oil, take a pastry brush and brush oil along the sides of the muffin cups.
Silicone baking cups are a great zero waste option as well! The muffins come right out without needing extra oil.
Paleo Friendly Glaze
Use melted coconut butter for a paleo friendly glaze option! You won’t believe how delicious it is – sweet on its own and no need for added sugar.
Storing Paleo Muffins
These carrot cake muffins are quite moist and are best enjoyed within a few days. They keep well at room temperature for 3-4 days, or you can store in the fridge for about 5 days.
Allow muffins to cool completely before storing in an airtight container and place in the freezer, up to 3 months.
Allow muffins to thaw at room temperature.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and rating below! It helps others learn more about the recipe too. Xx AshleyPrint
Healthy Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins
Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins bursting with spice, carrots and crunchy walnuts. Made with a blend of cashew flour (or almond flour) and tapioca flour for a super soft grain-free/gluten-free muffin. Lower in sugar too!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 1/3 cups cashew flour or blanched almond flour*
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1 small banana, pureed*)
- 2 TBS coconut sugar (can omit; see notes)
- 3 TBS maple syrup
- 2 TBS avocado or light olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º F; spray muffin pan with oil and set aside.
- In large bowl sift cashew or almond flour (if possible) with tapioca flour. Whisk in baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk together eggs, applesauce (or banana puree) and coconut sugar (if using). Add in maple syrup, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients into large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until almost combined then add in shredded carrots and chopped walnuts. Batter will be somewhat thick and very wet.
- Evenly disperse batter (I use my medium cookie scoop) into greased muffin pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Muffins should rise slightly and have golden edges.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes before using butter knife to gently remove. Transfer muffins to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in airtight container at room temperature, 3-5 days. Enjoy!
Tested with both cashew flour and blanched almond flour; either will work. If making your own cashew flour, just make sure you don’t over-process.
This recipe was originally made without baking powder, but after testing again I find the addition of it does help get a better lift. Feel free to omit if you need to based on dietary needs.
If using banana, blending into a puree is best.
Feel free to omit coconut sugar f you don’t have much of a sweet tooth. But the maple syrup factors into the liquid ratio so don’t omit that. You can sub agave or honey if needed
nutrition approximate; calculated with blanched almond flour and with added coconut sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 241
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 31
Keywords: paleo carrot cake muffins, almond flour muffins, paleo muffin recipe
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.
Rate this Recipe