Thank you Bertolli® for sponsoring this post. For more information and a store locator, please visit https://www.bertolli.com/oils-and-vinegars/olive-oils/ and be sure to check out Bertolli’s social channels: Facebook and Instagram.
Guys! The holidays are coming, and I kind of couldn’t be more excited. It’s one of my favorite times of year because it’s all about togetherness, expressing gratitude and love.
If I’m being honest, these past few weeks I’ve been finding myself in a bit of a slump. It’s been a busy fall, and I haven’t been giving myself the time I need to recharge my batteries. If you’re a fellow introvert, you understand how important this is.
With the holidays just about in full swing, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the chaos. But it’s also the perfect time to slow down and create simple moments with friends and family. And it doesn’t have to be anything crazy – I’m talking as simple as just planning a date night once a week, cuddling on the couch with your favorite person and TV show, or perhaps even baking an easy cake.
You saw that coming, yes?
Okay, but seriously. Making time for these little moments in life is so important. I too get caught up in just moving from one day to the next. But creating memories and finding time for the simple joys in life is what adds to our overall happiness each day.
Being that it’s the holiday season, I just had to bring you a special cake that will be perfect for bringing to all the gatherings.
Olive Oil Pumpkin Cake with Chai Frosting
An extra virgin olive oil pumpkin cake, to be exact. It’s incredibly easy to make – it’s light, moist and so flavorful.
We’re not just using any olive oil though, we’re using Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in this cake recipe. The freshness of the extra virgin olive oil adds just a hint of special flavor to this cake – just trust me on this one.
Did you know that Bertolli® Olive Oil was founded in 1865 in Lucca, Italy? A man named Francesco Bertolli had a small shop of local products. He started to send boxes of his olive oil to America to meet the demand of Italian emigrants. Bertolli® became the first Olive Oil exporter of the world. How cool is that?!
Side note: Currently picturing Italian families in America in the old days awaiting a shipment of their favorite extra virgin olive oil from back home, so they can make sure they’re cooking the most flavorful and authentic dishes to enjoy around the table.
Not too different from this day and age, if you think about it. The quality of ingredients used in everyday recipes can really make a meal stand out. And that is what Bertolli® Olive Oil is all about – keeping it simple and delicious in the kitchen, focusing on the essentials, and making sure to enjoy the simple moments of great company gathered around the table.
But let’s get to this cake already!
What You Need for this Pumpkin Cake
- Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- canned pumpkin
- pure maple syrup
- dark brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- whole wheat pastry flour
- pumpkin spice – you can use store bought or make it using this simple recipe that uses just 4 ingredients!
- baking powder
- baking soda
For the Chai Frosting
- cream cheese
- greek yogurt
- powdered sugar
- chai spices – you can make it using this simple recipe that uses just 6 ingredients!
This pumpkin cake recipe is more of a sheet cake. I used a “quarter sheet pan” but you can use a 13×9 cake pan if you’re in a pinch – just make sure to line the pan.
How to Make a Healthier Pumpkin Cake
As much as you *think* you want to go out and buy a box cake mix, just take a look at the steps below to make this cake.
Combine dry ingredients: flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
Combine wet ingredients: Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, pumpkin, maple syrup, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
Combine together and transfer batter to pan to bake.
And you don’t need an electric mixer for the cake, you can just whisk by hand.
Once the cake is completely cooled, it’s time for the chai frosting – just cream cheese, greek yogurt, powdered sugar and chai spices (it’s simple to make with this recipe).
It’s basically perfect.
And whether you’re baking this cake for an event or just because you love to bake and enjoy sharing with the people you care about, I hope you find it’s perfect for any occasion.
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a review and comment here on the blog. I love hearing from you and it helps others learn about the recipe too! Xx AshleyPrint
Olive Oil Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Chai Frosting
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: quarter sheet pan
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
for the cake
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see notes for other subs)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (pumpkin puree)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 2% plain greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease (or line with parchment paper) a quarter sheet pan or 9×13 baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl combine Bertolli® Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, canned pumpkin and vanilla using whisk or electric mixer on low speed. Add in eggs mixing on low speed until fully combined. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients and gently mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. If cake starts to brown, cover with foil halfway through baking time.
- Allow cake to cool in pan on wire rack before frosting – at least one hour at room temperature or place in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Make the frosting: Using electric mixer, beat together softened cream cheese until smooth. Add in greek yogurt and vanilla extract, beating more until combined. Add in spices and slowly add in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Mix on medium speed until completely smooth.
- Frost cooled cake, spreading into corners. You can serve immediately or cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
FLOUR – You can use half whole wheat flour, half all-purpose. OR all whole wheat white flour – cake may be a little more dense. A 1-to-1 all-purpose gluten-free baking flour will likely work here as well. Cake can be made a day in advance. You can also frost ahead or day of. Chilled frosting will be a little less messy to cut. Prep time includes cooling time.
- Serving Size: 1/ 24th
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 160
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 31
Keywords: pumpkin sheet cake, chai frosting, baking with olive oil
Pin it for Later
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Rate this Recipe