Add this kale salad to your next meal prep or party menu! Served with fruit-sweetened balsamic blueberry vinaigrette, spiralized golden beets, goat cheese and pecans. Gluten-free and paleo-friendly omitting the goat cheese.
Man guys! Gilly has been insane this week. If you’re just tuning in Gilly is our 13 week old puppy. She’s getting bigger (obviously) and all of the sudden thinks she gets to jump on the couches. Drew came home from work the other day and after I got home from the gym he was explaining to me what a little yellow devil she had been on their walk. I’m hoping it’s just been a few weird days for her because she has really been quite a handful. Teething perhaps?
I’d love to get her to puppy school, doggy daycare or whatever it is to get her out of the house and acclimated with other dogs and just get her some exercise during the day while I work. I’ve heard it’s good for them and will certainly be good for me!
Anyways, that is what is currently on my mind as I sit on the couch. Half paying attention to Gilly while she tries to lick my forearm/bite my wrist.
But we’ve got a new salad for da blog today!
Kale Salad with Spiralized Golden Beets & Balsamic Blueberry Vinaigrette
KALE SALAD. Yes, get excited.
If you’re not excited I invite you to give this kale salad a solid shot. If you’re unfamiliar with kale salads, the way to do it is to massage the kale with oiled hands before adding into your bowl with the rest of the ingredients. It makes a huge difference! I talk about it here in this fan favorite salad.
Plus the blueberry vinaigrette here is so freaking good you won’t even know you’re eating kale once everything is mixed in.
What you need
- golden beets
- goat cheese (or omit for vegan/paleo/whole30 option)
- Medjool dates
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- stoneground mustard
So for the salad it’s just kale, (I used both curly and lacino), pecans, blueberries and goat cheese. You can of course omit the goat cheese if dairy-free, vegan or paleo. But I love me some goat cheese.
For the dressing it’s blueberries, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, medjool dates, stoneground mustard and a hint of salt. So if you’re doing a Whole30 this dressing is compliant. If you don’t have Medjool dates you can sub honey.
It’s really a simple kale salad recipe made super flavorful thanks to the blueberry balsamic dressing. This would make for a great side salad or even dinner salad topped with some balsamic glazed salmon or chicken. Oh I think I have a piece of salmon in the freezer calling my name…
- 1 large golden beet, peeled and spiralized
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 2 bunches lacinato kale
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup blueberries, divided
- 6oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pecans
Balsamic Blueberry Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup blueberries,
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 large Medjool dates, pitted (or 2 TBS raw honey)
- 1/2 tsp stoneground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Peel golden beet and spiralize; place in preheated 375ºF oven on parchment lined baking sheet – bake for 5-8 minutes or until soft; set aside. Note: you can also leave raw or boil for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash and roughly chop kale, removing stems and and tough pieces. Transfer chopped kale to bowl and drizzle with olive oil; massage kale between finger tips.
- Add in crumbled goat cheese, pecans and spiralized golden beet.
- Make the dressing: add all ingredients for dressing in small food processor or blender; blend until smooth.
- Serve salad with dressing, top with your favorite lean meat or even had some roasted chickpeas or tempeh for a plant-based option. Enjoy!
Store leftover dressing in fridge; use within 1 week.
Feel free to omit goat cheese to make vegan/paleo/whole30.
- Serving Size: 1/6th with dressing
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 234
- Fat: 34
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Unsaturated Fat: 24
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 13
SOME OF THE PRODUCTS I USED IN TODAY’S RECIPE
This post contains some affiliate links. Should you choose to purchase through said links, I will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support in helping keep Fit Mitten Kitchen up and running.