Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins made with whole grain flour, no oil and dairy-free friendly. These are simple and quick and the perfect excuse to enjoy chocolate with breakfast.
It’s muffin time, friends!
Muffins are one of my favorite things to bake because they’re quick and pair perfectly with your favorite cuppa. I mean muffins + coffee = heaven. Or tea, whatever you prefer.
Something about enjoying freshly baked goods with your morning beverage makes you just want to slow down and appreciate the little things.
Or sometimes you’re rushing out the door while shoving said baked good in your mouth, trying not to spill your coffee everywhere. I get those days too.
Whatever kind of morning you have, chocolate peanut butter muffins will make it better.
Chocolate + Peanut Butter 4 LYFE.
My youngest sister says she doesn’t like peanut butter but I think she is a big fat liar. And probably adopted.
JK, love ya Tor.
But COME ON who the heck doesn’t like chocolate and peanut butter?!
So these bad boys are pretty quick and can be whipped up in no time. Whether you’re making a batch after dinner for next morning’s breakfast or in the mood for some weekend baking, these chocolate peanut butter muffins need to get on your list.
For these Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins You’ll Need
- whole wheat pastry flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- maple syrup
- creamy peanut butter
- milk of choice
- chocolate chips (and/or peanut butter chips)
Like most muffin recipes, this one is really simple and you just need a couple of bowls to mix the wet and dry ingredients separately before mixing the batter.
For the chips I used both a mixture of dark chocolate chips and some peanut butter chips I found hiding in my pantry. My pantry could really use a deep cleaning so using the peanut butter chips here was a good excuse to get rid of something. Well that and they’re obviously delicious.
If you need dairy-free, stick with these chocolate chips.
Easy mixing bowl muffin recipe
I brought chocolate peanut butter muffins into the gym so clients could enjoy one after class and I am fairly certain they were enjoyed! The other trainers loved them too.
Chocolate for breakfast is always a win in my book.
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins made with whole grain flour, no oil and dairy-free friendly. These are simple and quick and the perfect excuse to enjoy chocolate with breakfast. Gluten-free friendly using a 1-to-1 all-purpose flour.
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1-to-1 gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup + 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup applesauce (or well mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (cane, coconut, date, etc.)
- 1/2 cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used cashew)
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (or mix in peanut butter chips too)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper cups; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine all of dry ingredients; set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together applesauce, maple syrup and sugar. Add peanut butter, whisking until combined. Then add in egg and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Gently add dry ingredients to large bowl, using spatula to gently stir a couple of times, then add in milk; use rubber spatula or large spoon to stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Avoid over-mixing. Batter should be wet and fairly thick.
- Evenly distribute batter into muffin pan, about 2/3 way full.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out with no wet batter. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store muffins in airtight container at room temperature; muffins best enjoyed within 3 days.
*You may sub half all-purpose flour with half whole wheat flour. Using all whole wheat white flour is also an option, though the muffins may turn out slightly more dense.
Keywords: healthy chocolate muffins, dairy free muffin recipes, dessert for breakfast